Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: laptop harddrive Load_Cycle_Count issue

Beans

Re: laptop harddrive Load_Cycle_Count issue

Recently did a clean install of Ubuntu v9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) and the problem has been fixed in this version. No need for me to do any of the fixes.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, I just want to confirm that I no longer need to do this with 9.04.

Thanks, and how can I check.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

In terminal:

sudo apt-get install smartmontools

date; sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | egrep '(Load_Cycle_Count|Temperature)'

Run the second one every so often (15 minutely if you're bored, otherwise something like daily )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Since I've installed 9.04 I've noticed that the hard drive would cycle on and off very frequently. Neither the -B 254 or -B 255 had any affect. I tried the -S 0 and I think this fixed it.

Robert
    HP tc4200 tablet

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A clean CLI only install from an alternate 9.10 CD still has the old Load_Cycle_Count problem. Solution: install acpi-support
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install --without-recommends acpi-support smartmontools
    smartmontools is probably not part of the solution, just needed to check the Load_Cycle_Count.

Beans

After upgrading to Karmic 9.10, I noticed that my hard drive was starting and stopping a couple of times a minute. Issuing a smartctl command didn't make a difference, and neither did unchecking "Spin down hard disks when possible" in System > Preferences > Power Management.

I tried removing the packages laptop-detect and laptop-mode-tools and rebooting. This seems to work. It also seems too simple and too easy. Where is the Linux joy in tinkering with arcane scripts I don't understand? Still, it seems to work. Something in the scripts must have interfered with my laptop's default tendency to keep the hard drive spinning.

This could possibly be a problem under battery power, if changing the Power Management settings for battery power has no effect. But I never unplug my laptop anyway.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by James Keating View Post
    I tried removing the packages laptop-detect and laptop-mode-tools and rebooting.
    This works for me on my NC10 using Xubuntu (Karmic.) Having thought I had found a solution I tried a fresh install of Linux Mint 8 hoping that it work there too. It doesn't. I am going to return to Xubuntu. Though I am only a light user and it would be years until I hit my drive's maximum duty cycle I find the noise (and knowledge of what is happening to small parts under great load) disturbing. I see a copy of Windows 7 in my not to distant future............

EDIT: I am correct in thinking Debian has fixed the problem? Or I am getting confused with all the messing about?
    Last edited by nonperson; December 15th, 2009 at 10:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I hear the clicking of the HD on my HP mini 5101 running UNR 9.10 when on battery. 2 days of use and a load cycle count of 978 (scary, isn't it?). The only fix that has worked for me is setting the apm to 254 after every boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Rubunter View Post
    I hear the clicking of the HD on my HP mini 5101 running UNR 9.10 when on battery. 2 days of use and a load cycle count of 978 (scary, isn't it?). The only fix that has worked for me is setting the apm to 254 after every boot.
    That's the default and expected behavior. The head parking was designed to save energy and to protect the disk in case of a strong jolt.

Have you tried to going to Power Preferences and uncheck the box that says "Spin Down Hard Disks When Possible"?
    Registered Ubuntu User #20847

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    That's the default and expected behavior. The head parking was designed to save energy and to protect the disk in case of a strong jolt.

Have you tried to going to Power Preferences and uncheck the box that says "Spin Down Hard Disks When Possible"?
    That did not work! thank u anyway
    Last edited by Rubunter; December 27th, 2009 at 12:57 AM.

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast