Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: laptop harddrive Load_Cycle_Count issue

Beans

Re: laptop harddrive Load_Cycle_Count issue

I was during a research to see if my laptop a dell xps m1330 (which came preinstalled with Ubuntu) was affected by the laptop harddrive Load_Cycle_Count issue i ran 2 test in 15 minute following the guide here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=795327 and the result was really disturbing .

when i ran the first test i got this result

190 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 062 054 045 Old_age Always - 639303718
    193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 090 090 000 Old_age Always - 20939
    194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 038 046 000 Old_age Always - 38 (Lifetime Min/Max 0/23)

15 minute later when i ran the same test

190 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 062 054 045 Old_age Always - 639303718
    193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 090 090 000 Old_age Always - 20967
    194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 038 046 000 Old_age Always - 38 (Lifetime Min/Max 0/23)

from this result my load cycle count number listed in this commands output changed by 28 meaning my load cycle count increases by 28 every fifteen minute. from the look of things its really scary and i want to ask if anyone has the same problem should i apply the patch

my hard disk is 320gb in size and made by samsung the speed is 7200 RPM and it comes with freefall sensor. point is i am afraid and i dont know if i should apply thge patch becasue i dont want to do anything that would hurt the the harddrive does anyone have the same problem?
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

Blog identica twitter lastfm

Beans

Thanks, everyone, for an informative read! Just quickly chiming in here (first post, yay, although signed in a long while ago).

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu_demon View Post
    Even if the laptop is used on battery everyday for four hours the Load_Cycle_Count would have to increase with 137 per hour to be able to reach 600.000 within three years of usage. Most people don't see their Load_Cycle_Count increase that fast (although some might)
    I installed Intrepid on an oldie-but-goodie IBM Thinkpad T40, and the issue seems more prominent than ever. After a while of inactivity, even on AC power, the HD (Hitachi HTS541060G9AT00) goes into a non-stop sequence of successive loads/unloads which doesn't seem to stop even after resuming work.

I'm not seeing 100-150 per hour; it's hitting that neighbourhood in mere minutes. It literally loads and unloads all the time, every three-four seconds. Checking it on smartctl verifies this, the count rises before my eyes at a steady rate. For sure, this can be a nasty surprise for someone who has just installed a new OS and doesn't know about the issue.

At the moment I have to get some work done and I don't have time to troubleshoot this any more than I absolutely have to ... Dual booting into Windows XP, the HD functions as expected, and in Linux the hdparm -B 254 fix works. That will have to do for now (thanks!)

Beans

someone clearly need to reopen this issue. The bug is not fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is the purpose of the ugly fix to fix this

Beans

will the hardy instructions work for intrepid?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

No, this bug definitely has not been fixed in Ibex. On my Acer, the load cycle count actually seems to increase more quickly than it did under Hardy. The fix at the beginning of this thread works in Ibex, but stops working after a suspend, just as it did in Hardy. Then I have to switch my laptop from battery to AC or vice-versa to get the load cycle count to stop skyrocketing. BTW, I set hdparm to 255 for both battery and AC because I handle my machine carefully and don't like to worry about whether or not it's plugged in.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred_McGee View Post
    No, this bug definitely has not been fixed in Ibex. On my Acer, the load cycle count actually seems to increase more quickly than it did under Hardy. The fix at the beginning of this thread works in Ibex, but stops working after a suspend, just as it did in Hardy. Then I have to switch my laptop from battery to AC or vice-versa to get the load cycle count to stop skyrocketing. BTW, I set hdparm to 255 for both battery and AC because I handle my machine carefully and don't like to worry about whether or not it's plugged in.
    Yes, i supposse a western digital hd like mine where all values from, 2 to 253, to park the drive give the same result, (crappy hd firmwares...).

Just enable laptop mode and change the value 128 to 254 or sudo hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda, but your drive will never park. Also i have noticed, that a value of 1 combined with laptop mode works good since most of the time there is no need to read from hd, so it's parked most of the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello,

I have a Dell XPS m1330 with Hardy Heron which is a little less than 3 months old and has already a staggering 92897 as a Load_Cycle_Count (notice: I bought it with Gutsy preinstalled).

I had another laptop before and the hard drive failed due to this issue (I was using Ubuntu 6.10, 7.04 and 7.10 on that one). When I bought this new laptop and put Hardy on it, a friend of mine pointed me to the the third post of ubuntu_demon

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...47&postcount=3

and the ugly fix for Hardy at this link

http://en.opensuse.org/Disk_Power_Management

What happened is that yesterday I checked the Load_Cycle_Count and it was extremely high. I got very scared, as I have already lost one hard drive similarly.

I am a newbie and maybe I did not do something correctly: I created the two files suggested in the second link. Each time I turn my computer on I'm on PM_POWERSAVE_ON and my hard drive parks its heads 144 times per hour...

I decided to go on POWERSAVE_OFF and remove the fix, but I'm not sure this makes any sense. I am 99% of the times on AC power and don't know what to do. Right now the heads are not parking at all (at least I'm not raising the count).

Can anyone help me as to what I should do (to make them park a reasonable amount of time on battery and maybe never on AC power)? I obviously did something wrong, but don't know how to navigate in the sea of posts on the topic.

Also, does anyone know how "old" my hard drive is now?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

This is still not fixed in Intrepid. This is ******* ridiculous.

Beans

Post Re: laptop harddrive Load_Cycle_Count issue

The best fix was posted by jakon in the old thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=842

It works in v8.04 (Hardy Heron) and v8.10 (Intrepid Ibex).

It is easy to do and easy to remove.

It should be added to the first post as one of the solutions (non-ugly).

The ugly solution is a big mess compared to the one jakon posted.

--------
    AbtZ, the guide of ubuntu_demon doesn't work anymore on Hardy.

The "normal" way to set your hd power management setting is through /etc/hdparm.conf. Unfortunately, because of https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rm/+bug/199094 , these settings will be lost upon suspend/resume. But, i have posted a patch there that should fix this issue.

You could test the patch, stop the klicking, help fix bug 199094 by:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/hdparm.conf
    Add

Code:
    /dev/sda {
    apm = 254
    }
    to the end of the file.

2. Save http://launchpadlibrarian.net/14195287/30hdparm to /tmp/30hdparm . Then,

Code:
    sudo install /tmp/30hdparm /etc/pm/sleep.d/
    (Note: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/ also works, but /etc/ is the cleaner solution)

3. Suspend/Resume or reboot to make it take effect.

4. Report back here.

That's it. You can undo it by deleting /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/30hdparm . Don't forget that this makes your hd more vulnerable to bumps.
    Last edited by Hated On Mostly; November 12th, 2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: fixed launchpad url

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast