Thread: Can't get WEP to work for anything! Going crazy!!!!!! Toshiba Laptop

Beans

Can't get WEP to work for anything! Going crazy!!!!!! Toshiba Laptop

Hey guys,

I have looked all over the forums and internet and nothing is helping me. I have a Toshiba Satellite a205-s5800 with a Realtek 8187b driver installed (yes its the one that everyone says to install and it worked, yaaay )everytime I connect to an open wireless network everything works flawless, but whenever I attempt to connect to my network at home or at work that has WEP encryption I cannot get jack. Getting really annoying not being able to have internet access =(

Thank you so much and please note that any and all suggestions are to the highest of attention.

-Brandon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: Can't get WEP to work for anything! Going crazy!!!!!! Toshiba Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by mechanicalmetal View Post
    Hey guys,

I have looked all over the forums and internet and nothing is helping me. I have a Toshiba Satellite a205-s5800 with a Realtek 8187b driver installed (yes its the one that everyone says to install and it worked, yaaay )everytime I connect to an open wireless network everything works flawless, but whenever I attempt to connect to my network at home or at work that has WEP encryption I cannot get jack. Getting really annoying not being able to have internet access =(

Thank you so much and please note that any and all suggestions are to the highest of attention.

-Brandon
    Have you set the configuration correctly in the network settings. When I get disconnected I can't get back on unless I run roam with my own network or due a restart with manual configuration. Have you also turned off your router to let it reset then tried the wep setup with the correct configuration set then due a restart. once you have it working you can save it on the networks page after unlocking it for access. Also can you plug in and get it to work

Beans

Re: Can't get WEP to work for anything! Going crazy!!!!!! Toshiba Laptop

i have the same exact problem, i turned off my WEP encryption and it works fine, but when it's on nothing

Beans

okay, i got mine to work. i was using the default WEP 128 bit passphrase option, i instead picked the WEP 64/128 bit hex key option, that did the trick. maybe it'll work for you too

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I just ran into the same problem and after a lot of frustration, I removed network-manager and my keyrings. I then reinstalled both of them, started nm-applet manually, recreated the keyring for my network and now things are back to "normal". There may be some residual issues I might have to contend with later, but for now everything is running fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pgroover View Post
    I just ran into the same problem and after a lot of frustration, I removed network-manager and my keyrings. I then reinstalled both of them, started nm-applet manually, recreated the keyring for my network and now things are back to "normal". There may be some residual issues I might have to contend with later, but for now everything is running fine.
    Hey man, please let me know what you did exactly so that I can try it. Im a linux noob so kinda post your reply in dummy terms. Thanks man!!!

And for bubba64's reply, yes I can get online if I plug in via lan or if I connect to an open wireless network but no wep or wpa. I work for an internet company so I have tried my laptop on like 20 different routers.

Please advise !!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by mechanicalmetal View Post
    Hey man, please let me know what you did exactly so that I can try it. Im a linux noob so kinda post your reply in dummy terms. Thanks man!!!

And for bubba64's reply, yes I can get online if I plug in via lan or if I connect to an open wireless network but no wep or wpa. I work for an internet company so I have tried my laptop on like 20 different routers.

Please advise !!
    Sorry about the delay, but I've been pretty busy today.

Here are the steps I took (within a terminal):

sudo apt-get remove network-manager (Remove network-manager)
    cd .gnome2
    Follow one of the following to remove your keyrings:
    1. (safer option since any previous keyrings are saved) cd keyrings, mv default.keyring default.keyring.bak, mv default default.bak
    2. (more volatile since keyrings are deleted) rm -Rf keyrings (remove ALL keyrings)
    sudo apt-get install network-manager (reinstall network-manager)
    sudo apt-get install kwalletmanager (reinstall kwalletmanager)

Close the terminal, and run each of the following, in succession, using Alt-F2:
    kwalletmanager (starts kwallet)
    nm-applet (start network manager)

After you've started nm-applet, configure your wireless as you normally would (ESSID, encryption key, etc.), click OK and you should then be prompted by kwallet for a password to encrypt the new keyring.

Good luck
    Last edited by pgroover; May 25th, 2008 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Clean up