Thread: HDD Password vs Full Disk Encryption

Beans

HDD Password vs Full Disk Encryption

What is the difference in security between using full disk encryption via dm-crypt or similar, and simply setting a HDD password in the BIOS?

It seems both methods are rock solid, neither having a way to retrieve the data if the drive were to be stolen.

So whats the point of full disk encryption if setting a hard drive password gives equal security?
    Last edited by Schalken; May 24th, 2008 at 03:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HDD Password vs Full Disk Encryption

hard drive passwords "lock" the hard drive so it doesn't spin up, but doesn't ENCRYPT the hard drive. It will deter your average laptop thrive, but not someone determined to get your data.

Beans

But you can't get data off a drive that has been locked with a password, even though the actual data on the drive isn't encrypted, right?
    Last edited by Schalken; May 24th, 2008 at 03:27 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

your AVERAGE laptop thieve cannot, but someone with a large skill set, who is determined to get your data can access your data can.
    Last edited by Steve413z; May 24th, 2008 at 08:34 PM.

Beans

This might be stretching it, but you can take an identical hard drive (make model and size) and swap the platters of the locked drive into the unlocked drive. There might be easier ways to do it but that is the only one I know of.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by gripen40k View Post
    This might be stretching it, but you can take an identical hard drive (make model and size) and swap the platters of the locked drive into the unlocked drive. There might be easier ways to do it but that is the only one I know of.
    i think so, it depends on the model, but like i said, it will stop the AVERAGE laptop thief

Beans

Hmmm. Well this LVM with encryption is turning out to be a bit of a PITA. I think a HDD password in combination with GPG encryption of really sensitive data will be enough.

Thanks for your help!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gripen40k View Post
    Easier to just swap out the board on the bottom of the drive. I've done this to recover info after the chips exploded on a drive.