Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: screen lockup or freeze in hardy - help1!

Beans

Re: screen lockup or freeze in hardy - help1!

I'm not using crossfire, I got just 1 x1800gto. I didn't try to change drivers becouse in other thread i read this happens also to people with nVidia. I hope this bug will be fixed soon, couse for me changing drivers/disabling compiz is not a solution, it's just avoiding the problem. I appreciate your help though, thanks.

Beans

I just have a single x1900XTX as well. I tried the "ati" drivers and they cause a freeze as well. I attempted to get the "radeonhd" drivers to work as well, but that resulted in a blank screen and I just couldn't get them to work at all. Used EnvyNG to install the latest ATI FGLRX drivers...but still freezes.

As for the 2.6.25 kernel, I used some automated program (forget the name now) to ease with installation of this...however even after waiting ages for it to build etc...it still had the freezing problem for me.

Dozey

Beans

Hello, I also experienced this problem when I first migrate to Ubuntu. But since 2 days ago, my sys never freeze again. Maybe Ubuntu self-heal itself. Anyway, will monitor this thread for future reference

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've just fixed a similar problem on my system. Look at: Failed to initialized HAL, can't mount USB, log-out icon locks-ups

Beans

I forgot to mention my GFX card is a ATI x800 gto.

I plan to upgrade to a 7800gt once I get my watercooling overhaulled...

I really hope changing over to an NV card will fix this as I also plan to run dual displays...

I'll check out that USB link thing tho...

Beans

I will look into this USB and HAL thing becouse i have similar problem on hardy. It doesn't mount dvd/cd or other partitions, i have to do it manually so i suppose it's HAL problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Having the same problem. Updated from Gutsy to Hardy over the intarweb and my old lappy started freezing nonstop (no CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE, no Virtual Terminals, no CTRL+ALT+DEL - machine entirely unresponsive until hard reboot). Dealt with it for a couple weeks, trying to find a fix to no avail. Saw one post theorizing it was kernel related, so I tried a different kernel (attempted using -rt from Apt, to no avail and didn't have the time to manually build 2.6.25). Didn't help. Sooo, I downloaded the painfully huge Fedora 9 DVD and went to install only to discover copious amounts of graphical glitches and no way to switch from the "intel" driver to "i810" - it would kill X until i switched 'em back. Fed up with that and Fedora's package manager from hell, I decided to try a clean install of Hardy and everything seemed to go ok until I booted the machine up about twenty minutes ago and it locked up while I was out of the room.

WTF.

On the other hand, I haven't had a lick of trouble out of Ubuntu on either of my desktops - one being an older Pentium 4/Intel 865G-based machine, the other a P965/Pentium D/GeForce 7950. Both have been running solid, and I've tried various versions of hardy on the latter, including 32 and 64 bit versions of Ubuntu and Kubuntu, as well as 64-bit Ubuntu studio, with no trouble to speak of.

Is this just a glitch centering around very specific hardware bits? I've tried a few other things as well (different drivers, disabling compiz, running dpkg-reconfigure on xorg, etc) but nothing seems to work.

Pertinent Specs (affected Laptop)
    Dell Latitude c400
    -Pentium III-M @ 1.2 gHz
    -512mb PC-133 RAM (leet, I know)
    -Intel 830M chipset/graphics
    -ICH3? I THINK this is the southbridge. Maybe.
    -Intel IPW2200 a/b/g wireless NIC

I just hope this gets sorted out soon.

Beans

I'm still having this problem...I just keep hoping that all these updates I keep downloading are going to fix it...but they never do

For now I'm back to Windows XP. I really can't stand it crashing so much in Ubuntu...it must be killing my hard disk

Dozey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Same problem here. Hard locks at random times. Reinstalled serveral times, all updates, compiz on/off no matter what just kept crashing. Windows XP runs fine no problems there. Installed gutsy no crashes since. Funny thing is I have a laptop and another desktop with hardy installed and not a single problem. But this desktop is one crash after another.

Asus A7V333
    AMD 2600+ CPU
    1.7 gigs ram
    Nvidia 5200 pci

Nothing too new or non-standard with this computer. Its hard to believe its hardware related, but maybe some combination of parts that just won't work with hardy. Until someone smarter than me figures it out I'll just keep Gutsy.

Beans

Even my computer freezes up quite frequently. Even when i'm doing simple tasks like playing a video file or resizing a window.
    I have a fairly good laptop. A core duo T2300, with 512mb of RAM and a 40gig hard disk. It's integrated graphics though.

Ubuntu, please take care of this. Because it's very disconcerting to restart your computer every few minutes. I'm a new ubuntu user. You guys did a wonderful job. I love the operating system. But shouldn't you have tested it properly before releasing it?

Please, please fix this. I don't want to go back to windows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast