Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Doom3 - Unknown command vid_restart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

[SOLVED] Doom3 - Unknown command vid_restart

Hi. I'm trying to run Doom3 in native linux mode on an AMD2 x64 +3800 PC with a 256Mb nVidia GeoForce 7600GS display card and 4 Gb RAM. I've loaded the PAK files from CD onto my PC, installed the 32 bit libraries (via Getlibs), edited my ld.so.conf, and run ldconfig. When I run doom3 from the command line I get a load of checksums and eventually this...

/home/kevin/dosgames/Doom3/base/game01.pk4 (2 files)
    game DLL: 0x0 in pak: 0x0
    Addon pk4s:
    file system initialized.
    --------------------------------------
    Unknown command 'vid_restart'
    idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
    Sys_Error: Couldn't load default.cfg

What do I need to do next ?

Beans

Re: Doom3 - Unknown command vid_restart

hi, i'm sorry i don't know what your problem is, i am trying to run quake 4(which installation is the same that doom 3), but i can't run it, because i can't install de 32 bits libraries, can you help me?, i'm a linux noob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Have you copied over all 5 PAK files from all 3 CD's to the doom3/base directory yet? You need all 5.

Beans

yes i have copied all :S, it seems to me that the problem is with the library libsdl1.2debian ......

Beans
    Distro

You need to use getlibs which can be found on one of my previous posts here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=804847

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Actually, I was asking Kevbert if he'd copied over all 5 PAK files. PAK000.PK4 & PAK001.PK4 are on Disc Two. PAK003.PK4 & PAK004.PK4 are on Disc Three. PAK002.PK4 is on Disc One.

I had 2 of the 3 CD's in storage (Disc One is the only disc needed to play in Windows) and was only able to copy over PAK002.PK4 to the HDD and I got that exact message. Only when I got the other 2 CD's out of storage and copied the files across did I get into the game. Next problem: finding the manual with the CD-key, which is also in storage. I'll then be able to play.

Beans
    Distro

Yes all pak files are on the hard disk in my /home/kevin/dosgames/Doom3 directory. Doom3 install has also put a shortcut under Applications-Other, but when I click on it nothing happens. I can only (start to) run from the terminal command line where I get the vid-restart error.
    I may try to install again under WinXP and try to fathom out what's going wrong from there. I haven't used XP in weeks, so I hope its still working !
    Well it works fine in XP so it's not a hardware problem, but a configuration/software problem.
    Last edited by Kevbert; May 26th, 2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Additional info

Beans
    Distro

Yippee... let's kill some mutants. The game now works. For some reason some of the pak files were in the wrong directory - I copied them across and success. There's actually 9 Pak files and 3 gamexx.pk4 files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: [SOLVED] Doom3 - Unknown command vid_restart

Yeah, they shouldn't be in the doom3 directory, but in the doom3/base directory (along with the other .PK4 files), but it looks like you figured that out.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Doom3 - Unknown command vid_restart

i have exact same problem and i am very very new in ubuntu.
    i navigated to my base folder and found these 3 files. game00.pk4,game01.pk4,game05.pk4
    what exactly i need to do to get this game running?
    btw, i dont have windows ,runinng machine with Ubuntu 10.04

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast