Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what laptop would you get

Beans

what laptop would you get

the kids will be in the USA this summer.

all things electronic are far cheaper there than here.

they would like to buy a lpatop while there.

what would you get if you wanted to run ubuntu on it?

they are teenagers, 15 and 14, no gaming really, jut iwternet socializign and film-music editing.

plus school homework of course.

robi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: what laptop would you get

I have HP dv6000 dual core. I bought it for about $600. it's ok laptop. I use it for architecture stuff mostly (it runs autocad, blender, rhino very well), but I also work a lot on the internet and OpenOffice. Many people will probably tell you not to get HP, but I had no problems with it so far (except the fact that I could not install Windows XP over Vista. drivers could not have been found). I've heard positively about Dell and Toshiba, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

For linux compatibility, you can't go wrong with Thinkpads or Dell's Ubuntu line.
    _,-O
    O
    (_)) ubuntu -
    -`-O

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm rocking a MacBook at the moment, it's a first Gen Core Duo one though so I'm not sure how the compatibility has changed in recent models but everything is supported for me including the things that normally give hassle like wireless/compiz + suspend to Ram.

The wireless drivers are non free though (Boo!!) and so taint the kernel. Everything else is open.
    My Site: theshadowaspect.com
    Anyone who uses phrases like Winblows, or M$, or Microsucks, etc. are not doing the Linux world any favors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Soldierboy View Post
    For linux compatibility, you can't go wrong with Thinkpads or Dell's Ubuntu line.
    I would say a Thinkpad too. They are a bit pricey but sturdy and offers great compatibility with Ubuntu and Linux in general. A Thinkpad can handle numerous careless beatings.

Beans

I pretty much agree with user roe_polak. If weight isn't an issue, use a Thinkpad or get one of HP's computers. An Asus Eee PC would be helpful, too. They're pretty powerful, light and cheap, offering basic access for typing word documents, internet access, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I am writing this reply from my T41 Thinkpad. For Linux compatibility and overall usefullness you cannot go wrong. I purchased this computer in the last eight months for about 500.00. I have owned a couple of sony Vaios, a toshiba and a Mac Book. They were all descent machines but the thinkpad is much better.
    I am sure that the new Thinkpads are even better than this generation. Running kubuntu 7.1. Hardy had several issues on this machine so I am waiting for more of the kinks to be worked out.

Scott

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The thinkpads are really nice, but so are the dell ubuntu laptops, especially the m1330. It really is a very nice laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

+1 for the m1330 they are lovely machines, 13" is a great form factor too.

I've also been a huge fan of the Thinkpad X series, my old X31 was the most reliable machine I ever owned.

The Dell Business machines are good as well, I had a Latitude D620 which was reliable and solid as a rock. But they are big (14" Widescreen, I like smaller form factor) and they are heavy, even for the size.
    My Site: theshadowaspect.com
    Anyone who uses phrases like Winblows, or M$, or Microsucks, etc. are not doing the Linux world any favors.

Beans
    Hidden!

I am running Ubuntu from a HP Compaq 6720s. WORKS STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. I didn't have to configure any drivers or hardware. And with a Dual-Core and a gig of ram, its the fastest computer I have. (It came with Vista which is still on it.... but not used at all.)

Widescreen as well.... I don't like using other computers now, even ones with Ubuntu.
    Registered Linux User: 453202 Registered Ubuntu User:17339
    WARNING: Don't take code or candy from strangers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast