Thread: Dual NICs with 2 IPs not working

Beans

Dual NICs with 2 IPs not working

Hi
    I have 2 NIC's in a IBM server and running VMWare Server on Ubuntu.
    The plan is to have one NIC on my LAN with a private IP and the other NIC connected to the Internet.
    Then I will map my VMs onto the WAN NIC as they will be webservers.

I am currently testing with both NIC's on my LAN and set to use DHCP but only on card gets an IP, the other doesn't.
    I have eth0 & eth1, eth0 has an IP, eth1 doesn't - why not?

When I boot the server it seems to default to the card with no IP so I cannot get to the box via the LAN - again - why?

Any help much appreciated...

Beans

Re: Dual NICs with 2 IPs not working

I'm having a similar problem; hope you get an answer.

I've got an integrated gigabit card on my Asus P5K mobo as eth0, and I threw a Linsys 10/100 card into a pci slot as eth1, then installed Hardy. A fresh install on clean new disks in a newly completed custom-built. Both were configured with static, behind the Belkin router, IPs. (Oh, and just to throw another wrench in, the mobo has an integrated RTL8187 wifi adapter.)

Using Network Tools, both adapters show their correct static IP addresses. However, I was not able to get OpenVPN to work. Somewhere along the way, I noticed that eth1 had become the default system interface -- I can only get to the web, email, etc. through that adapter. Using ping -I eth0 www.ubuntu.com, and observing interface activity with gkrellm, I see that while eth0 is transmitting, eth1 is both receiving and transmitting. This suggests that eth0 is, somehow being routed to eth1, even though there are no explicit routes for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Randy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dual NICs with 2 IPs not working

Quote Originally Posted by Rob K View Post
    I have eth0 & eth1, eth0 has an IP, eth1 doesn't - why not?

When I boot the server it seems to default to the card with no IP so I cannot get to the box via the LAN - again - why?

Any help much appreciated...
    I've been wrong before (and have no background with VMWare server)... dunno if the system will tolerate two NIC's in the same subnet especially via DHCP. Assigning one via static address (or via static lease) might work.

Similar thread
    Last edited by Iowan; May 29th, 2008 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Add link.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net