Thread: Now don't look at m,e funny, but...

Beans

Now don't look at m,e funny, but...

...I want to do something a little strange.

You see I'm getting a Power Mac G3 for free from a friend who has a friend who was just going to throw it away. I don't have much use for OS 9 (which is what is on it). I really want to use it to tinker and learn. So here is what I want to do:

I want to install the server version of Ubuntu, or other comparable distro. I then want to set it up to immediately load DosBOX as if it were the native operating system at startup (which I will then set up to load GEM automatically). Is this possible? I don't know what kind of user management system the server edition has.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Now don't look at m,e funny, but...

Should work, though you may have to manually start freeDOS. Isn't there a version of DOS that you can boot to rather than emulating it, or is there something more you wanted the serve part to be doing while you have GEM up?

(Do check to make sure that GEM will run and connect, I've read that GEM doesn't support VGA... though that by itself my be why you want to emulate DOS.)

Leo
    The angels have the phone box!

Beans

Re: Now don't look at m,e funny, but...

Quote Originally Posted by LeoSolaris View Post

Should work, though you may have to manually start freeDOS. Isn't there a version of DOS that you can boot to rather than emulating it, or is there something more you wanted the serve part to be doing while you have GEM up?

(Do check to make sure that GEM will run and connect, I've read that GEM doesn't support VGA... though that by itself my be why you want to emulate DOS.)

Leo
    The latest version of OpenGEM does support VGA, but my main reasons for wanting emulation are: 1) I don't think the PowerPC architecture supports DOS natively. There may be a flavor of DOS out there in which this is not the case, but it would still present a problem to any other software I installed.

2) I want to use it to run DOS programs, including games, and I don't want the processor running wild at 350 Megahertz when the game only calls for 30.

3) I need emulated memory, since memory in DOS is a little persnickety.

4) I need the old DOS soundcards emulated, too. My Earthsiege CD (to use an example) doesn't have any drivers for Apple sound equipment.

So that's what I'm thinking anyway. I'm no computer guru, though, so I may have to stand corrected if someone knows better than me.