Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continual problems with errors from Ubuntu CDs

Beans

Continual problems with errors from Ubuntu CDs

My last 3 burns of 8.04 have had errors and now after waiting two weeks for the copy I ordered; it too has an error. What should I do next? I already tried installing one with an error and it failed prior to loading grub then it wiped out all my Windows log in users, thus needing to reinstall Windows. What a nightmare bringing all my stuff back to the way I had it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: I give up

Do you happen to remember what the error was?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

have you considered that something might be wrong with your dvd/cd drive. It could be reading it poorly because that sounds like a very bad string of bad luck. Do you have another drive you can try it with?
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

could you describe the errors?

and maybe try loading the CD in windows and using Wubi to run the install... will pose less of a threat to your system until you get the install bugs worked out..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegaslinux View Post
    My last 3 burns of 8.04 have had errors and now after waiting two weeks for the copy I ordered; it too has an error. What should I do next? I already tried installing one with an error and it failed prior to loading grub then it wiped out all my Windows log in users, thus needing to reinstall Windows. What a nightmare bringing all my stuff back to the way I had it.
    You might be burning a damage ISO file. Make it a point that before burning an Ubuntu ISO file, check it for errors first by comparing it's the MD5 hash with the original one which comes on the webpage you downloaded the ISO file.
    Or when using the LiveCD to boot, there's an option which let you check the medium fist before installation.

What actually are the error's you getting?
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans

When I check the disk, it doesn't tell me what the error is. Is there a way to find out. Thanks, I will try Wubi if I can't get this resolved.

Beans

How do I tell? I simply checking the disk at boot.

Beans

the only one thing to watch for with wubi is hard reboots (forcing the computer to turn off)

they will cause hard drive issues... but so far, for me, they haven't been anything that chkdsk /F in DOS doesn't clear up just fine

and it may even be a good idea to to start with running that from windows, and running memtest from a live boot just to eliminate those possibles...

Beans

just describe how the process goes: i.e.

it starts up and asks me install, but when i start it it doesn't do anything; or - it i get all the way to the splash screen but then it just goes black...

also, can you just boot into the live environment?

Beans

Botts up and runs great in live mode, it's when I try to install it, that it fails due to errors, but then it's too late because it now has wiped out my grup and windows login users.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast