Thread: [SOLVED] moving mysql data directory

Beans

Question [SOLVED] moving mysql data directory

Ok, I'm on a fresh server install of 8.04, with the mysql installed via the menu during the install.

Here are the steps I used:

1. stopped mysql.

2. I copied the /var/lib/mysql to /srv/mysql
    Code:
    sudo cp /var/lib/mysql /srv/mysql -p -r
    to preserve all directory and file attributes.

3. Edited the /etc/mysql/my.cnf
    Code:
    datadir = /var/lib/mysql
    was replaced with
    Code:
    datadir = /srv/mysql
    4. Edited the /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld, replaced
    Code:
    /var/lib/mysql/ r,
    /var/lib/mysql/** rwk,
    with
    Code:
    /srv/mysql/ r,
    /srv/mysql/** rwk,
    5. restarted apparmor.d

6. restarted mysql.d

7. got a [fail!] when trying to restart mysql.d, here is the error i got..
    Code:
    May 22 21:03:12 larouchenet mysqld_safe[10288]: started
    May 22 21:03:12 larouchenet mysqld[10291]: 080522 21:03:12 [Warning] Can't create test file /srv/mysql/larouchenet.lower-test
    May 22 21:03:12 larouchenet mysqld[10291]: 080522 21:03:12 [Warning] Can't create test file /srv/mysql/larouchenet.lower-test
    May 22 21:03:12 larouchenet mysqld[10291]: 080522 21:03:12  InnoDB: Operating system error number 13 in a file operation.
    May 22 21:03:12 larouchenet mysqld[10291]: InnoDB: The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to
    May 22 21:03:12 larouchenet mysqld[10291]: InnoDB: the directory.
    May 22 21:03:12 larouchenet mysqld[10291]: InnoDB: File name ./ibdata1
    May 22 21:03:12 larouchenet mysqld[10291]: InnoDB: File operation call: 'open'.
    May 22 21:03:12 larouchenet mysqld[10291]: InnoDB: Cannot continue operation.
    May 22 21:03:12 larouchenet mysqld_safe[10298]: ended
    Am I missing a step? As far as I can see, all of the permissions are exactly the same as when the directory was in /var/lib

Please, can anyone help?

-Adam S.
    Last edited by floz23; May 23rd, 2008 at 02:47 AM.

Beans

Talking Re: moving mysql data directory

Damn apparmor to hell! Just Kidding, I just solved my own problem, and I've give others the solution here, in case you do what I did.

My steps were right, but I did one extra thing. I made a backup copy of the /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld to /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld.backup

It turns out the apparmor was loading BOTH configurations, with the second, backup one, overwriting the configuration of the updated one.

Solution, delete the backup /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld configuration, restart apparmor and mysql.

This is a MAJOR b*tch. Thanks everyone

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] moving mysql data directory

I spent all afternoon fighting this error. The apparmor profile adjustments did the trick for me. I didn't even know about apparmor until now.

(yes, I'm a linux noob.)

Beans

THANK YOU!!! What a PITA, I never would have thought of this..Now my MySQL server is happily striping to a RAID 10!

Whew...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks!

I also had problems getting MySQL up and running after changing the datadir location to my RAID.
    I'd never even heard of apparmor...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Same here, never heard of apparmor before. Read something about it in the my.conf, but I thought it concerned the mysqld.sock.

Thanks a million for this one.

Beans

Re: moving mysql data directory

Quote Originally Posted by floz23 View Post
    Damn apparmor to hell! Just Kidding, I just solved my own problem, and I've give others the solution here, in case you do what I did.

My steps were right, but I did one extra thing. I made a backup copy of the /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld to /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld.backup

It turns out the apparmor was loading BOTH configurations, with the second, backup one, overwriting the configuration of the updated one.

Solution, delete the backup /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld configuration, restart apparmor and mysql.

This is a MAJOR b*tch. Thanks everyone
    Thanks a lot. I have opened a bug on this. Look here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/403898
    I hope it is fixed.

Beans

How is any of this a bug? I believe this is exactly how apparmor is supposed to function. The only complaint I had was the lack of documentation of how this all works.

Regards,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by payman View Post
    Thanks a lot. I have opened a bug on this. Look here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/403898
    I hope it is fixed.
    Very off topic but how the hell did you get it right to already get answers there I posted a bug ( https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/389308 ) in june and still have not seen any activity around it
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by floz23 View Post
    How is any of this a bug? I believe this is exactly how apparmor is supposed to function. The only complaint I had was the lack of documentation of how this all works.

Regards,
    Well, if it's not a bug in apparmor, then it is definitely a bug in ubuntu packaging system that creates the extra conf files in the apparmor directory. Personally, I think apparmor shouldn't use the other conf files for mysql.

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
    Very off topic but how the hell did you get it right to already get answers there I posted a bug ( https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/389308 ) in june and still have not seen any activity around it
    I don't know. I just used the launchpad report wizard when the crash appeared and I was contacted by them later on.