Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new server setup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

new server setup

I may be posting this in the wrong forum but here it goes anyway. I have a new server at work that was built about a year and a half ago. The operating system that was istalled is xp professional edition. As I am converting my personal (home) computer to Ubuntu and have the ability to decide what the new server will have I am tending towards making it Ubuntu (or some other form of Linux).
    I will be asking many questions because I don't know the answers. I have setup the original server, windows server 2000, but not at all familiar with setting up a Ubuntu server.
    1) Is there a guide to do it?
    2) What version/distro is recommended and why?
    3) All the current workstaions are running XP, how do I connect them and give permissions?
    4) The current windows server has a couple of domains as this server is used for 2 businesses, can this be done with Ubuntu?
    5) We are currently using M$ Mail as our internal mail server, what options will I have as I convert?
    6) What info do you need to help me make the correct decision to sucessfully accomplish this transistion?

I probably will have many questions to follow so bare with me.

Thanks

Beans

Re: new server setup

this is going to be quite a task, but it sure is possible.There are many guides on the internet to setup ubuntu server , a google search would give you good results.. you could use ubuntu server or red hat server, red hat is supposed to be one of the best linux server OS, ubuntu server is also good..Since you are new to ubuntu you might want to start with a GUI so you can install the gui on the ubuntu server.For domains you can use samba, i think they do support that.there are many mail servers for linux but since you are planning to shift im not sure whether all these mail servers have an option to import from MS mail server..

Beans

Since this is a production environment do you plan on paying for support?
    1) There are various tutorials all over this site and the internet on how to setup a basic LAMP server.
    2) I would stick to the latest LTS release if going with ubuntu.
    3) The LDAP server will take care of the domains, and network shares. you will also need Samba
    4) I don't know about installing 2 domains on one linux server, i have not tried it.
    5) There is open exchange which one of the techs i work with is currently trying to setup. He said that he would recommend paying for support if our company is serious about replacing our exchange servers with open exchange.

The hardest thing i feel is getting used to the command line. There is no GUI installed when you setup ubuntu server, so if don't know a lot about linux this could be a sticking point.

Beans

Look at following web address, maybe you'll find something you're looking for.

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu8.04-lts

Beans

Great link, that covers some of the OP points.

Beans

Yeah. I found some really good stuff on that website. Recommend to visit it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok, I will start reading. I thought I would mention that the server has Dual Core AMD 270 2.0GHZ processor with 2GB RAM. Will I still use the i386 version of hardy or the other for AMD? Does it matter? I also think there are 2 processors. Not sure of that though.

Beans

In order to use 2 processors with a Dual Core AMD you need to use the AMD_64 version of ubuntu. if you use the i385 version the system will only detect and use one of the processors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Is there a way to tell for sure how many processors I have and what bit rate they are running, 32 or 64?

Beans

Yes by the model number. From what you say you have two cores on your processor. You can run this command to find the full specs on your processor
    Code:
    lshw -C CPU
    It will list each core on your CPU separately and the processor's features.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast