Thread: Confusing DNS(?) issue

Beans

Question Confusing DNS(?) issue

For some reason my laptop (running Ubuntu 8.04) is failing to connect to some hosts. www.pidgin.im, for example. Odd thing is, if I put the IP address for pidgin.im into my browser, it loads fine -- leading me to believe it's some sort of DNS issue. Prior to having trouble, I had messed around with some firewall settings (I had installed firestarter, but I've since remove --purge'ed it... I've also messed with UFW, though I dont see why that should have caused any DNS issues). I'm by no means a networking expert, though I'm usually a quick learner. Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Confusing DNS(?) issue

this is usually a DNS issue.. you could try changing DNS servers to opendns http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/...-in-linux.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer89 View Post
    For some reason my laptop (running Ubuntu 8.04) is failing to connect to some hosts. www.pidgin.im, for example. Odd thing is, if I put the IP address for pidgin.im into my browser, it loads fine -- leading me to believe it's some sort of DNS issue. Prior to having trouble, I had messed around with some firewall settings (I had installed firestarter, but I've since remove --purge'ed it... I've also messed with UFW, though I dont see why that should have caused any DNS issues). I'm by no means a networking expert, though I'm usually a quick learner. Any help would be appreciated.

Yeah seems to be a DNS issue.

Try resetting your router. If that fails it could mean that there is a problem with your ISP's DNS servers.

You could configure your router / computer to use a different DNS service such as OpenDNS mentioned above.

Good luck

Beans

Thanks guys... it seems to be working fine at the moment.

Here's the thing that confuses me though... it seems that this issue occurs only after I mess with UFW (Ubuntu's "Uncomplicated Firewall"). The way I resolved the issue was by running ipconfig /all on a windows machine under the same network... and then wrote down the DNS servers listed (there were 3)... and then opened Ubuntu's network utility, added the two IP's that I didn't already have... and ran sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart. Afterwards it worked perfectly... but then just about a half hour ago I went to turn off UFW's logging... and immediately afterwards I Was having DNS issues again. So I went back into the networking utility, noticed the two entries were missing, so I re-added them... and restarted /etc/init.d networking. Again... working fine.

I've never had a single DNS issue with Ubuntu prior to enabling UFW. So I dunno what to think...