Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enterprise IM with archving

Beans

Enterprise IM with archving

I am looking for a good Enterprise IM package that will let me archive user messages. I work for a Credit Union and we want to take email away from most of our users and replace it with IM so they can still communicate with their supervisors.

I have looked into Jabberd with Bandersnatch, but I couldn't get it to work on Ubuntu because of something stupid, but that is what i really want to use because of the admin features and the reporting / archiving features.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Enterprise IM with archving

Why would you want to take email away? That sounds ridiculous.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans

I know it sounds mean, but people are really abusing it, and due to some of our requirements we have to use MS Exchange (which i happen to like so lets not discuss moving to another system). Also we want to upgrade to 2007, but the costs involved are more then we want to spend on the tellers just so they can talk to each other. If we give them Internal only IM, they can chat to their hearts content and not slow down the email server (hypothetically).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have never successfully setup jabber either, but maybe if you start posting some of the errors and what the problem, a few people will join on the bandwagon and help you solve the problem.

Another form of communication would be IRC, but I'm not real sure if you would want IRC or not. You would need an IRC client like Gaim, Pidgin, IRSSI or Xchat.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I know you said not to ask this, but if you're talking about an internal system for just the tellers, why not set up postfix email or something?

I'd have to try setting up Jabber on my server before I could help you on that... but XMPP is a great protocol.
    FireHOL: An amazing, powerful, linux server firewall that is easy to understand, configure, and use!

Check it out if you want a secure Ubuntu Server: sudo apt-get install firehol

Beans

as far as IRC goes, we have some employees that are older and we had a hard enough time explaining the latest teller software, let alone try to explain IRC. Also, IM is point and click software for the client side, much like email is.

as far as a separate email server, we are going to give everyone IM, but limit who has access to email.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Instant Messenger (IM) is the protocol, the client is what could be considered 'point and click'. Anyhow, what client did you plan on using for your IM protocol? If it was Pidign or Gaim, then those clients will support IRC also, which still gives them the same atmosphere of 'point and click'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have no idea whether this is the kind of thing you are looking for - it is a Bulletin Board system that has since developed into a complete Groupware system.

http://www.citadel.org/doku.php/doku.php?id=start

It does also allow email - presumably that can be restricted though.

Beans

For the client it would be a windows based client as we are stuck with windows due to our core application requirements. We are looking into using Linux with an XMPP server, and want IM because it will give us presence (as long as people remember to put themselves in away mode) and it will also give us instant notification of messages.

Citadel looks nice, but we want something that can be left open all day, and not have another application interfere with it. For instance if they click a link somewhere and it takes them away from the site to a new website.

Beans

Citadel does have IM ability - built in jabber server and yes. it archives. Some of the other functionality might be a little overkill, but no one has to keep open the citadel client. As I type this I'm also IMing other citadel users using Trillian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast