Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Please recommend a media player for me

Quote Originally Posted by esteckis View Post
    You could also try Exaile.
    Now this is just getting silly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    Quod Libet is kinda nice, but I won't use any player that doesn't allow me to separate out compilation albums (eg, anything but amarok).

I'm curious about your amarok problems. It never crashes on me, and, though I am on KDE, it's not a resource hog (it caches far more memory than most apps, but that's the way memory management on Linux works). And as far as complicated playlists?

Add things to playlist, select all, right-click -> save as playlist. If you've already got one going, just drag 'em into it in the playlists tab. Is that what you were meaning, or were you going about it some utterly complicated way?
    I hadn't tried Quod Libet. I'll do that now. Thanks for the pointer.

I don't remember what my specific problems with playlists in Amarok were, to be honest. It's been a year or so since I gave up on it, and I don't have any bookmarks relating to that problem.

Just the Chinese character problem and the instability (and yes, it is definitely unstable on my system -- I remember it freezing my desktop once or twice) are enough for me to not be interested in it.

Beans

Hmm, I'll have to find some chinese music to test it out on. It's handled kanji just fine, though I must say it doesn't stay that way for long (since I can't read kanji).
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

@ Jiawen

I know you are not completely happy with any of the players, but you have to use something in the time being. So which is your favorite out of the ones you have tried? I too am trying to find the perfect one for myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For the time being, I'm still using Banshee. It gets closest to ideal (while still being far from it). I tried Songbird, but it has too much stuff for my purposes. (I don't, for example, want my MP3 player to have an integrated web browser.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12