Page 22 of 65 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: General MoBlock thread

Beans

Re: General MoBlock thread

You want traffic on the "vnc" port whitelisted. For this to work, you have to specify the correct port number. See here for a list of port numbers.

It's very confusing that iptables (the part of your system that is used for the port whitelisting) accepts some "service names" like http and https, which leeds users erroneously to the assumption that they can use all names. So I suggest to always use only the numbers (except for http and https because of a bug in mobloquer, which gets confused there if you specify 80 and 443).

BTW: Please have a look at my signature --> post output in CODE tags.
    Please post your logfiles and output of commands wrapped in code tags:
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]
    Co-author of PeerGuardian Linux (pgl). Maintainer of the pgl package repositories for Debian and Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jre View Post
    You want traffic on the "vnc" port whitelisted. For this to work, you have to specify the correct port number.
    Thanks for the reply, I made that change and now it works great!
    Thanks once again, its a great app.

Simon

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jre View Post
    Just make sure that firestarter is started before MoBlock. Then go with the Moblock 0.9 default settings (i.e. FONT="Courier New"]IPTABLES_SETTINGS="1"[/FONT] and MARKing on). Every firestarter change then requires a moblock-control restart.
    I have just added informations to post #1 how you can verify correct settings.

If the above doesn't work for you you can go with the other old instructions.

Finally you may try this (not tested, please give feedback if you do this):
    Keep the MoBlock configuration as it is. In the firehol.conf add as last line moblock-control restart.
    IIRC firehol works that way that commands in its conf are simply executed, so this way you can make sure that MoBlock is restarted after every firehol change (firehol purges all other iptables rules).
    Is there a default firehol example file ? I have the old default settings like
    Code:
    iptables --new moblock 
    iptables -A moblock -j NFQUEUE
    and i moblock
    Code:
    IPTABLES_SETTINGS="0"
    IPTABLES_ACTIVATION="0"
    but I saw that now recommend iptables_settings=1. I tried both but when i do the moblock-control test all I get are fails. Also tail -f /var/log/moblock/moblock.log doesn't give the ips address it's blocking. How can i check if moblock-control is up and running
    Last edited by ranpha; March 22nd, 2009 at 11:09 AM.

Beans

The easiest way should be to keep the default settings, but make sure to start MoBlock after Firehol (and restart it if firehol changed anything).

See also "How to make sure that MoBlock is integrated correctly with any other firewall" in post #1 in this thread.
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]
    Co-author of PeerGuardian Linux (pgl). Maintainer of the pgl package repositories for Debian and Ubuntu.

Beans

I just released blockcontrol 1.3. blockcontrol was previously known as moblock-control. It's designed to do all tasks related to IP block daemons (MoBlock or NFBlock).

The MoBlock GUI mobloquer is based on blockcontrol. So I adapted the mobloquer code and made a release, too: mobloquer 0.6. I'm sorry to say, that we still miss an active developer for mobloquer.

NFBlock is now fully supported by blockcontrol. Therefore I added nfblock 0.6.2 to the Debian (and Ubuntu) repository, see below.

Features:
    • Start and stop IP block daemon. Or let init do this automatically.
    • Update your blocklist from online sources and local blocklists. Or let cron do this automatically on a regular basis.
    • Remove lines by keyword from the blocklists.
    • Handle your iptables rules: use a default setup, easily allow all traffic on specific ports and use an allow list, or add your own sophisticated iptables rules.
    • Allow all LAN traffic and the DNS server automatically. If you are on a public LAN, you probably want to disable this feature.
    • Check the status and test the IP block daemon.
    • Detects if kernel modules are needed and loads them if necessary.
    • Set verbosity and logging options.
    • Provides LSB 3.1 compatible init script.
    • Daily rotation of the logfiles.

NEWS:
    • Full support for Moblock and NFBlock.
    • New option "search": Examine your selected blocklists by searching the single blocklists for keywords.
    • All user configuration is now done in /etc/blockcontrol/blockcontrol.conf. Not any more in /etc/default/...

Download/packages:
    blockcontrol is available at http://moblock-deb.sourceforge.net
    You can get Debian (and Ubuntu) packages of blockcontrol, MoBlock, mobloquer and NFBlock at http://moblock-deb.sourceforge.net

jre
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

jre could you pleeeeaaaase put the old versions back up on the repos for the time being; this has completely broken moblock for me!

EDIT: I got it working; I did a "completely uninstall" on all things moblock through synaptic and installed it again. Everything seems to be working fine; the only problem I found is that Mobloquer constantly says "N/A" after Number of Blocked IP Ranges.
    Last edited by Dawa; March 22nd, 2009 at 10:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What's the difference between Moblock and NFBlock?

Is there any advantage of using one or the other?

Beans

Dawa, can you describe the problems more closely? I need to know if there is really something broken. Please post the output of:
    Code:
    dpkg -l moblock mobloquer blockcontrol
    blockcontrol show_config
    http://sites.google.com/site/makovick/nfblockd-daemon
    NFBlock blocker has been inspired by MoBlock and PeerGuardian. NFblock has simpler and cleaner code, 2-3 times smaller typical memory footprint, can read gzipped ASCII blocklists, and run as a daemon.
    NFBlock uses the same technics for the blocking (iptables, NFQUEUE, marking, ...). But it has no GUI yet. On the other side it has a dbus interface, so that a GUI could interact directly, instead of reading the logfile, as mobloquer needs to do.
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

jre-

sorry, I already did that completely remove/reinstall thing so moblock is working fine now. The total IPs are showing up in mobloquer now, too.

As I remember it, I updated to the new version, tried to update the blocklists, and recieved an error. I removed the offending blocklist from the list (it was the TBG Edu list), and the update worked, but when i tried to start moblock it would read 0 total IPs blocked after loading and then it would "crash out"... the best way i can explain it is that the green check mark in mobloquer turned immediately back into a red X after loading.

I'm guessing maybe this had something to do with the transition from moblock-control to blockcontrol; like I said though, everything seems to be working fine after i completely uninstalled and reinstalled all things moblock (except for the old moblock-control transitional package, of course).

Beans

Hi,
    I was getting update errors today, so I uninstalled/reinstalled moblock and mobloquer. moblock as installed but mobloquer won't install. I get this error in synaptic.

"mobloquer:

Package mobloquer has no available version, but exists in the database.
    This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents of sources.list"

and in terminal I get this.

"desktop:~$ sudo apt-get update
    desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install moblock mobloquer
    moblock is already the newest version.
    Package mobloquer is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package mobloquer has no installation candidate"

Page 22 of 65 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast