Page 45 of 65 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: General MoBlock thread

Beans

Re: General MoBlock thread

Your iptables setup looks correct to me. I'd suggest to remove
    Code:
    iptables --append OUTPUT --protocol icmp --jump ACCEPT
    and then ping an IP from the blocklist.

IPTABLES_SETTINGS should be 2 if you use blockcontrol's custom iptables insert script. Or do you do this manually?

Besides that I'd suggest to use the MARKing feature for blocked packets, so that outgoing packets are REJECTed, instead of DROPped.

BTW, I see no target in this line:
    Code:
    # SSH
    iptables --append INPUT --protocol tcp --dport 22
    Please post your logfiles and output of commands wrapped in code tags:
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]
    Co-author of PeerGuardian Linux (pgl). Maintainer of the pgl package repositories for Debian and Ubuntu.

Beans

Thank you for catching that SSH line, jre

I tried your suggestion with ICMP, and found out that moblock would indeed work as intended for outgoing ICMP. This made me wonder why it would work for outgoing ICMP, but it wouldn't work when I launched lynx and tried to browse. Soon I realized that the problem was not handling TCP connections properly. I need to accept established TCP connections like this:

Code:
    # Established TCP connections
    iptables --append INPUT --protocol tcp --match state --state ESTABLISHED --jump ACCEPT
    Problem solved!

Thank you Mr. jre for working on such useful and robust software

Beans

This only makes sense to me if your CHAIN policy is DROP. But still I think, that you should have seen blocks before.

Of course you need to set your ACCEPT rule for established before the NFQUEUE rule.
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]
    Co-author of PeerGuardian Linux (pgl). Maintainer of the pgl package repositories for Debian and Ubuntu.

Beans

Question Re: General MoBlock thread

Quote Originally Posted by jre View Post
    I just made new moblock/blockcontrol/mobloquer packages, also for Ubuntu Maverick (10.10). They are built now and will be available soon.

At the same time I dropped support for Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04)
    Is this why I can't install moblock on Jaunty? I'm using
    Code:
    apt-get install moblock
    If so, do you have any advice on how I can get moblock or a similar program running on Jaunty? I'm a beginner so simple-ish instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dougww View Post
    Is this why I can't install moblock on Jaunty?
    Yes. And first off, DO NOT USE JAUNTY, because it doesn't get any more security support (not only from me, but also none from Ubuntu/Canonical itself). Don't use it any more, update to a newer Ubuntu version.

Thus having said, you can either install the hardy packages (just replace in your /etc/apt/sources.list your old entry with
    ), or add the same entry (or any other currently working) and follow the instructions "Build your own packages" on moblock-deb.sourceforge.net

Again, please update to lucid (Long Term Support) or maverick.
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]

Beans

Unhappy Re: General MoBlock thread

Quote Originally Posted by jre View Post
    Yes. And first off, DO NOT USE JAUNTY, because it doesn't get any more security support (not only from me, but also none from Ubuntu/Canonical itself). Don't use it any more, update to a newer Ubuntu version.

Thus having said, you can either install the hardy packages (just replace in your /etc/apt/sources.list your old entry with
    ), or add the same entry (or any other currently working) and follow the instructions "Build your own packages" on moblock-deb.sourceforge.net
    Thanks so much for the quick reply. Upgrading is of course the best advice. Unfortunately, Ubuntu apparently doesn't support my architecture beyond 9.04. (I say apparently, because the only direct statements I could find are from second-hand sources: e.g., here and here. Ubuntu's own docs are much less clear.) Installing the Hardy packages didn't work either.

BTW, it's not like I'm trying to scrape along with old hardware, either. I bought it brand new less than three months ago, and the company is still selling the same model today. Of course, when I bought it, I didn't know (and didn't have any reasonable way of knowing) that support had been dropped.

None of this is your problem I know! Thanks for you help and if you have any more ideas, they would be appreciated.

Right now, it looks like I'll have to look into a different distro, like Arch Linux, but I'll miss the ease of use and great community support of Ubuntu.

Beans

Well, I already posted my first idea: compile your own packages. The instructions are on moblock-deb.sourceforge.net

Generally the packages do work on all distributions. The only problem is that when they are compiled they depend on some certain software versions.

So next to "hardy" you may also try the packages from "karmic".

Otherwise, please post the errors that you get when you install.

EDIT: I just had a 10 second glance at your links and saw that you are using ARM hardware. So this is another problem. The ppa never contained packages for the ARM architecture (only i386, amd64, and for some distributions lpia packages can be built). So you have to build your own packages - either directly on your hardware or by crossbuilding it from your PC.
    Last edited by jre; November 19th, 2010 at 05:51 PM.
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]

Beans

I have completely uninstalled: Firestarter, Moblock, BlockControl, and Mobloquer... and cleaned my iptables... all with the help and commands found in this thread, I noticed one other person in this thread has the same problem as I do, yet it is with older versions of ubuntu and programs from some time ago.

heres is what Im working with

Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick

Code:
    ||/ Name           Version        Description
    +++-==============-==============-============================================
    ii  blockcontrol   1.6.13-1~maver Manage IP blockers
    ii  moblock        0.9~rc2-25~mav An IP blocker for Linux
    un  moblock-contro <none>         (no description available)
    ii  mobloquer      0.6+svn2009081 GUI for MoBlock, an IP blocker for Linux
    Code:
    Reading symbols from /usr/bin/mobloquer...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
    (gdb) run
    Starting program: /usr/bin/mobloquer 
    [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
    [New Thread 0xb669ab70 (LWP 5627)]
    ** Warning: void Mobloquer::g_SetRootPath(const QString&) Preferred file "/usr/bin/kdesudo" could not be found, using "/usr/bin/gksu" instead 
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
      what():  std::bad_alloc

Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
    0xb7fe1424 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
    BlockControl and Moblock seem fine, but the GUI will not load up when executed.
    This problem possibly originated when I checked Firestarter and a couple active connections disconnected and a wget connection was activated and out of not know what was happening I locked Firestarter. After some searching on the net for wget and moblock Ive come to the conclusion BlockControl was updating its lists and it was simply bad timing on my part to lock Firestarter. This is when Mobloquer started locking up and the uninstall and reinstall mayhem began.
    Any help?
    Last edited by JKarp84; January 2nd, 2011 at 08:27 PM.

Beans

1. verify that moblock/blockcontrol is running. Go to a terminal and do a "sudo blockcontrol status". You should get a bunch of lines from iptables and 2 lines saying whether moblock is running. If something is wrong, then check /var/log/blockcontrol.log. If everything is fine, then I can't think of any connection to moblock/blockcontrol/firestarter. (firestarter can mess up blockcontrol's iptables rules only temporarily. But mobloquer and firestarter do not touch in any area.)
    2. if everything is fine, but you still have problems with mobloquer, then install "mobloquer-dev" and make a backtrace again. Perhaps we may fix mobloquer then.
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]

Beans

Code:
    * moblock is running
    PID: 1487    CMD: /usr/bin/moblock -p /var/lib/blockcontrol/guarding.p2p -q 92 -t -r 10 -a 20 /var/log/moblock.log

* blockcontrol.wd is running
    PID: 1494    CMD: /bin/sh /usr/bin/blockcontrol.wd
    blockcontrol log
    Code:
    2011-01-02 15:25:07 EST Begin: blockcontrol stop
    Stopping blockcontrol.wd [194G[ OK ]
    Deleting iptables ...
     [194G[ OK ]
    Stopping moblock ... [194G[ OK ]
    2011-01-02 15:25:08 EST End: blockcontrol stop
    2011-01-02 15:26:03 EST Begin: blockcontrol start
    Inserting iptables ...
    Allowing outbound traffic to DNS server 192.168.1.1 [194G[ OK ]
    Allowing forwarded traffic to DNS server 192.168.1.1 [194G[ OK ]
    Allowing loopback traffic [194G[ OK ]
     [194G[ OK ]
    Starting moblock ... [194G[ OK ]
    Starting blockcontrol.wd ... [194G[ OK ]
    2011-01-02 15:26:05 EST End: blockcontrol start
    Allowing outbound traffic to DNS server 192.168.1.1iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.
    iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.
       ...fail!
    2011-01-02 15:31:02 EST Begin: blockcontrol restart
    Stopping blockcontrol.wd   ...done.
    Deleting iptables ...
    iptables v1.4.4: Couldn't load target `blockcontrol_in':/lib/xtables/libipt_blockcontrol_in.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
    iptables v1.4.4: Couldn't load target `blockcontrol_out':/lib/xtables/libipt_blockcontrol_out.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

iptables v1.4.4: Couldn't load target `blockcontrol_fw':/lib/xtables/libipt_blockcontrol_fw.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

...fail!
     * Don't worry! There occured some errors during the deletion of the iptables 
     * rules. The most common reason for this is that they did not exist, because
     * moblock was not running.
     * But if moblock was running there is some problem. Most probably you have
     * installed another firewall application that did delete the iptables rules.
     * A "blockcontrol restart" will then fix the situation.
    Stopping moblock ...   ...done.
    Inserting iptables ...
    Allowing outbound traffic to DNS server 192.168.1.1   ...done.
    Allowing forwarded traffic to DNS server 192.168.1.1   ...done.
    Allowing loopback traffic   ...done.
       ...done.
    Starting moblock ...   ...done.
    Starting blockcontrol.wd ...   ...done.
    2011-01-02 15:31:03 EST End: blockcontrol restart
    after all this
    i checked my blockcontrol status again

Code:
     * moblock is running
    PID: 2565    CMD: /usr/bin/moblock -p /var/lib/blockcontrol/guarding.p2p -q 92 -t -r 10 -a 20 /var/log/moblock.log

* blockcontrol.wd is running
    PID: 2572    CMD: /bin/sh /usr/bin/blockcontrol.wd
    mobloquer still wont run. I am new to linux so am unsure of what to do at this point.
    Last edited by JKarp84; January 2nd, 2011 at 09:42 PM.

Page 45 of 65 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast