Thread: Want to find out how to sync my phone with ubuntu, but the sony software uses outlook

Beans

Want to find out how to sync my phone with ubuntu, but the sony software uses outlook

Want to find out how to sync my phone with ubuntu, but the sony software uses outlook to hold all my contacts and dates and notes and stuff. How can I use ubuntu to sync with my phone? I have a sony w580, the slider walkman phone (Friggin awesome, and cheap!!) anyway, it uses nsony ericson pc suite. I would have just loaded into wine and see what happens, but I knew that it had to sync with outlook(I guess I needed to have outlook installed for it to sync anyway... wierd)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Want to find out how to sync my phone with ubuntu, but the sony software uses out

I use a program called multisync (different to multisync 0.90) which is easy to use and very fast. It is in the repos

Do you want to sync using bluetooth or usb? If you're using bluetooth make sure you also download the ircmcbluetooth plugin

Beans

Re: Want to find out how to sync my phone with ubuntu, but the sony software uses out

ok, for some reason my last post on the fact that I can't add or remove programs never got posted, so whats the "sudo apt-get" or what ever for that program?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

the add/remove programs problem is a bigger one.. happy to help with that if I can? What error messages are you getting or what is happening when you try to use synaptic or the add/remove app?

It would be sudo apt-get install multisync

you will also need some plugins - so also add libmultisync-plugin-irmc libmultisync-plugin-evolution and libmultisync-plugin-irmc-bluetooth if you need bluetooth support.

This is the package page: http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/multisync
    Last edited by asrai; May 23rd, 2008 at 01:05 AM.