Thread: [SOLVED] burned install disks have an install error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

[SOLVED] burned install disks have an install error

ok i downloaded the ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04 ISO's from the OSUOSL and i put them on my flash drive and took them home to burn. i burned them to cd's via power ISO. so when i go to install them they say something about disk read error that it is either my hard drive, or a damaged install disk. the disks are new, and my hard drive is fine. does power ISO have a problem with burning ubuntu ISO's? does anybody else know what to do?
    My other forum signature has a witty pun here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: burned install disks have an install error

Quote Originally Posted by luckymoonboy1 View Post
    ok i downloaded the ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04 ISO's from the OSUOSL and i put them on my flash drive and took them home to burn. i burned them to cd's via power ISO. so when i go to install them they say something about disk read error that it is either my hard drive, or a damaged install disk. the disks are new, and my hard drive is fine. does power ISO have a problem with burning ubuntu ISO's? does anybody else know what to do?
    Is power ISO a Windows program? I don't recognize that name. If you are using Windows you can burn with a fine program called ImgBurn and its free.

Also do you have any programs to look inside that ISO just to check if its structure is intact. 7zip will do that, and its free as well.

Beans

What VMC is talking about on checking ISO's structure is checking it's MD5 signature if it corresponds to the original hash. Usually this is printed on a file which comes along with the ISO file itself or you could look at the webpage to where you downloaded the ISO file. If you got the correct MD5 has, try to burn it at a lower speed (4x).

If you're burning it on windoze, try downloading this MD5 utility first and use it to check your ISO file.

PowerISO is executes both on windoze and Linux.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

burning at a lower speed helped. thank you for all the help.
    My other forum signature has a witty pun here.