Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Screen resolution problems and blurry text

Beans

[SOLVED] Screen resolution problems and blurry text

Hey, everyone. I just found out about Ubuntu last night. A friend told me it was great. This is my first experience with Linux so please forgive my ignorance I'll try to stick with it. Unfortunately, I have a small problem. The resolution on my screen doesn't seem to be working right. When I minimize a window, that window goes to the bottom of the screen and out of sight. I can drag my mouse to the bottom of the screen and find it blindly, but I know that is not the best way. Also, the text on the screen is not nearly as sharp as it was on vista. It's hard to distinguish the letter "n" from "m". Now it's somewhat blurry and of much worse quality. I appreciate your help.

When I go to the resolution settings, I am unable to change them, yet they are actually correct, or at least what the monitor prefers, and the same settings that vista uses. I am also unable to change the special effects settings. Any ideas? My monitor is a 20 inch HP flat screen. Thanks so much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Screen resolution problems and blurry text

Quote Originally Posted by hfp View Post
    Hey, everyone. I just found out about Ubuntu last night. A friend told me it was great. This is my first experience with Linux so please forgive my ignorance I'll try to stick with it. Unfortunately, I have a small problem. The resolution on my screen doesn't seem to be working right. When I minimize a window, that window goes to the bottom of the screen and out of sight. I can drag my mouse to the bottom of the screen and find it blindly, but I know that is not the best way. Also, the text on the screen is not nearly as sharp as it was on vista. It's hard to distinguish the letter "n" from "m". Now it's somewhat blurry and of much worse quality. I appreciate your help.

When I go to the resolution settings, I am unable to change them, yet they are actually correct, or at least what the monitor prefers, and the same settings that vista uses. I am also unable to change the special effects settings. Any ideas? My monitor is a 20 inch HP flat screen. Thanks so much.
    Hi and welcome, have you installed the drivers for your graphics card and what is the model? You can look at the hardware drivers located under system, administration. You can find you graphics model with the command
    Code:
    lspci
    in the terminal located under applications, accessories. Look for VGA.
    Last edited by overdrank; May 22nd, 2008 at 03:54 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by overdrank View Post
    Hi and welcome, have you installed the drivers for your graphics card and what is the model? You can look at the drivers manager located under system, administration. You can find you graphics model with the command
    Code:
    lspci
    in the terminal located under applications, accessories. Look for VGA.
    Thanks, overdrank. I do not believe I have installed the drivers for my graphics card. I followed your instructions to find the graphics card model with the command lspi and the following came up:

00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a1)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
    00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SMBus (rev a2)
    00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a2)
    00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI bridge (rev a1)
    00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
    00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 IDE (rev a2)
    00:07.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)
    00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
    00:08.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
    00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
    00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
    00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
    00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 6100 nForce 430 (rev a2)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    01:05.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23418 Single-Chip MPEG-2 Encoder with Integrated Analog Video/Broadcast Audio Decoder
    01:06.0 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem
    01:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 80)
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Beans
    Distro

Ok you should be able to use the restricted drivers in the Hardware drivers mentioned before. Reboot the system as directed after installation then get the nvidia-settings and you should be good to go. Good luck!
    Last edited by overdrank; May 22nd, 2008 at 03:54 AM.

Beans

Ok you should be able to use the restricted drivers in the drivers manager mentioned before. Reboot the system as directed after installation then get the nvidia-settings and you should be good to go. Good luck!
    How do I get to the restricted drivers in the drivers manager section? I went to Nvidia's website and downloaded the driver that I think is appropriate for me: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-169.12-pkg2.run

But I don't know how to install that driver. I appreciate your help, overdrank.

Beans
    Distro

How do I get to the restricted drivers in the drivers manager section? I went to Nvidia's website and downloaded the driver that I think is appropriate for me: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-169.12-pkg2.run

But I don't know how to install that driver. I appreciate your help, overdrank.
    HI and as I stated in my earlier post #2
    You can look at the hardware drivers located under system, administration.
    Last edited by overdrank; May 22nd, 2008 at 03:52 AM.

Beans

HI and as I stated in my earlier post #2
    You can look at the drivers manager located under system, administration.
    When I go to system, and then administration, drivers manager is not there. The closet thing to it is Hardware Manager.

Beans
    Distro

When I go to system, and then administration, drivers manager is not there. The closet thing to it is Hardware Manager.
    Ok I am sorry I am assuming you are using Hardy 8.04. What version are you using, look under system, about Ubuntu.

Beans

Ok I am sorry I am assuming you are using Hardy 8.04. What version are you using, look under system, about Ubuntu.
    It says "This version (Hardy Heron) was released in April 2008 so its version number is 8.04."

When I go to System, and then to administration, I only see the following:

Authorizations
    Hardware Drivers
    Hardware Testing
    Install
    Language Support
    Login Window
    Network
    Network Tools
    Partition Editor
    Printing
    Services
    Software Sources
    Synaptic Package Manager
    System Log
    System Monitor
    Time and Date
    Update Manager
    Users and Groups

Beans
    Distro

It says "This version (Hardy Heron) was released in April 2008 so its version number is 8.04."

When I go to System, and then to administration, I only see the following:

Authorizations
    Hardware Drivers
    Hardware Testing
    Install
    Language Support
    Login Window
    Network
    Network Tools
    Partition Editor
    Printing
    Services
    Software Sources
    Synaptic Package Manager
    System Log
    System Monitor
    Time and Date
    Update Manager
    Users and Groups
    Hi and you are correct, my mistake it is hardware manager. there you can enable your drivers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast