Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virius or Firewall?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Virius or Firewall?

Do you need a Virus or Firewall protection using Ubuntu? I heard you dont.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Virius or Firewall?

No virus protection required, though you can still pass windows viruses on so some people get AVG for that sort of stuff or if you share files over a LAN to windows machines.

Firewall is optional, I dont use one but I am behind a router which gives some degrees of protection naturally from hackers. (most routers are linux based these days)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You should use antivirus to protect any Windows computers you may come in contact with.

As for a firewall you are running one right now(It is built into linux...).Go to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and check for yourself
    Last edited by Anduu; May 21st, 2008 at 09:53 PM.
    What color do Smurfs turn when you choke em?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Moved to Recurring Discussions, where you can all find numerous other threads on this topic.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans

I'm pretty sure ubuntu doesn't enable the firewall on installation. That test will show a clean system on a fresh install because ubuntu has no open ports by default. As soon as you install any servers that will change.

If you install samba to do file sharing you should enable the firewall or configure samba to not listen on the interface facing the Internet. Samba by default will listen on all available interfaces.

iptables is the low level program to configure the firewall. You would probably want a gui frontend for that though. Firestarter is program that I've seen mentioned the most. Of course you don't really need to if you don't install any servers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok I found firestarter I installed it. How can I get it to bootup when Ubuntu starts up instead of having to load it manully?
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

IPTables is the default firewall, it is very low level and only accepts input in the form of configuration files. Firestarter manages them.

There is no need for an anti-virus. Since all the software comes from a trusted source or sources, the software is known to be safe and there is no need to protect yourself from anything foriegn.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    IPTables is the default firewall, it is very low level and only accepts input in the form of configuration files. Firestarter manages them.

There is no need for an anti-virus. Since all the software comes from a trusted source or sources, the software is known to be safe and there is no need to protect yourself from anything foriegn.
    There might not be a specific need for anti-virus protection specifically for Ubuntu (since most viruses aren't directed at Linux) but it would be a nice touch for Windows users to be reassured that they're not going to get one from you, even if it can't hurt you.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans

Who cares about them Microsoft (R) Windows (R) users, let them swarm in virii for all I care I want my system lightning fast.
    Q)Why did the multithreaded chicken cross the road?
    A)to To other side. get the
    Q)Why did the multithreaded chicken cross the road?
    A)other to side. To the get

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Trail View Post
    Who cares about them Microsoft (R) Windows (R) users, let them swarm in virii for all I care I want my system lightning fast.
    exactly, windows users should take their own precautions to ensure the safety of their own machines. if they can't be bothered to protect themselves then why should i care?
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast