Thread: Xfire

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Xfire

Hey i am a big gamer and normally do it on windows. well i wanted to try it on Ubuntu so i dont have to restart and boot into windows so much. Well i got the majority of the games working and well no i want to install xfire if at all possible. Xfire is an INGAME instant messaging program and ALL of my friends have an accound on. but i cant install, i am not at home and cant remeber the error but i can post it in about 3-4 hours.
    Registered Linux user #489078 Ubuntu user #27106
    "Every man dies. Not every man really lives." William Wallace
    Blog! www.vrekk.us

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Xfire

Quote Originally Posted by Vrekk View Post
    Hey i am a big gamer and normally do it on windows. well i wanted to try it on Ubuntu so i dont have to restart and boot into windows so much. Well i got the majority of the games working and well no i want to install xfire if at all possible. Xfire is an INGAME instant messaging program and ALL of my friends have an accound on. but i cant install, i am not at home and cant remeber the error but i can post it in about 3-4 hours.
    There is a pluging for GAIM (now Pidgin) that allowed you to use Xfire. I do not know if it still works.

Beans

Pidgin doesnt alow you to use xfire. I've tried xfire under wine, it seem to work ok. not great, but i dont know if hte in game rendering worked, I dont remember trying that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by U83RMENSCH View Post
    Pidgin doesnt alow you to use xfire. I've tried xfire under wine, it seem to work ok. not great, but i dont know if hte in game rendering worked, I dont remember trying that.
    ok so update. i was able to reinstall xfire and i can login now, but i cant see my friends username, i just looks like [][][][][][][][][] and i havent had a change to test in game yet, that sould come in about 15-30mintues
    Registered Linux user #489078 Ubuntu user #27106
    "Every man dies. Not every man really lives." William Wallace
    Blog! www.vrekk.us

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

There's a plugin for Pidgin called Gfire that logs into the Xfire IM system. I can confirm it works.

However, I don't believe it detects games (doesn't display friends playing or detect you playing).

Edit: (3 days later) It does display which games friends are playing and if you mouse over the friend it also shows the IP of the server they are playing on (if it's a multiplayer game). I still don't believe the Gfire plugin is able to detect you playing games though, but at least it allows you to chat with your friends from Xfire.
    Last edited by Sleaka J; May 25th, 2008 at 12:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Vrekk View Post
    ok so update. i was able to reinstall xfire and i can login now, but i cant see my friends username, i just looks like [][][][][][][][][] and i havent had a change to test in game yet, that sould come in about 15-30mintues
    Install allfonts using winetricks
    Code:
    cd <winetricks path>; sh winetricks allfonts
    Hopefully this works. If it doesn't upgrade to the latest xfire on http://www.xfire.com

You'll be downloading a .msi file which you just need to run through wine and it should install.

Execute these commands through winetricks before running it:
    sh winetricks comctl32
    sh winetricks comctl32.ocx

If you're having trouble with the client crashing, try my tutorial here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=xfire
    to bypass the crashes
    Poyntz