Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: System76 Drivers on Mint

Beans

Re: System76 Drivers on Mint

I am posting this on Mint Debian via Virtualbox. I also have the Mint Menu installed in 10.10.

For me Mint was the Mint Menu. I love how you have total system access via a menu. When i use other menus they feel buggy because I can't edit, remove, install, or search for programs.

But again LMDE runs without no issue in Virtual Box. It can run full screen or seamless like another program. Have also noticed the jumping cursor issue is no more.

I have come to the conclusion that having 10.10 with 76 drivers and other distros running in VB is the best of both worlds. This will become more important for me after the Unity Disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by macpj View Post
    I haven't seen any postings in regards to Mint being installed on a machine in several months. Was wondering if anyone has done a recent install or upgrade to Mint in the last few months, if there were any issues on their System76 machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks for the link, macabrem. Unfortunately, I have already given my STAR1 to one of my friends. I will however, forward this link to him. He is a big fan of Mint, and is toying with Mint-Debian edition.

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by henrydubb View Post
    I am posting this on Mint Debian via Virtualbox. I also have the Mint Menu installed in 10.10.

For me Mint was the Mint Menu. I love how you have total system access via a menu. When i use other menus they feel buggy because I can't edit, remove, install, or search for programs.

But again LMDE runs without no issue in Virtual Box. It can run full screen or seamless like another program. Have also noticed the jumping cursor issue is no more.

I have come to the conclusion that having 10.10 with 76 drivers and other distros running in VB is the best of both worlds. This will become more important for me after the Unity Disaster.
    Good to hear you've found an acceptable solution. I see where you're coming from with Unity, but I should point out that even in this early state, Natty's Unity is already much faster and more stable than Unity in 10.10. I'm confident they'll get all the bugs worked out in time for 11.04.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

For those that want Mint but don't want to lose System76 Ubuntu supported drivers, try the Mint Repo

http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Julia

I ended up installing mintsystem and everything seems to work fine. Wireless seems to work better but I have had wireless issues as of late so it might be working better for non mint reason.

The only issue is cheese can't do videos, can't remember if it did previously.
    Last edited by henrydubb; February 13th, 2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: update

Beans

Just to let Scotty Bones and others know: the instructions he gives for installing the System76 drivers under LinuxMint still work: I just installed the drivers following the instructions on my Gazelle Ultra (Gazu1) under LinuxMint 10 KDE (Julia). Of course, I found the file mint-adjust.py under /usr/lib64/linuxmint/mintSystem as noted in a later post, and there was a minor difference I found in one or two files from what he listed, but it was rather obvious what adjustment to make. Many thanks for the instructions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by chasashmore View Post
    Just to let Scotty Bones and others know: the instructions he gives for installing the System76 drivers under LinuxMint
    here

still work: I just installed the drivers following the instructions on my Gazelle Ultra (Gazu1) under LinuxMint 10 KDE (Julia).
    And I used them to put LMDE on my PanP5. Rolling updates! and I'm swapping a lot less than under Natty.

Many thanks for the instructions.
    Ditto!

Beans

I recently got a gazp7. I didn't realize that System76 was so closely tied to Ubuntu, and don't give information on how to configure other distros. I was quite explicit at purchase time that I'd be reformatting the disk and running RHEL6 and other distros, and not Ubuntu, so I'm a bit disappointed.

Anyway, for Linux Mint 13:

To get the screen brightness keys (Fn-F8 and Fn-F9) to work, I added this line to /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_os_name=Linux acpi_osi="

(reboot)

-----------------------

To get the SD card reader to work, I used this:
    wget https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/9718...ts_bpp.tar.bz2
    tar xjf rts_bpp.tar.bz2
    cd rts_bpp
    make
    sudo -s # become root
    make install
    modprobe rts_bpp
    depmod -a
    (no reboot required)

-----------------------

Suspend/Resume is working fine.

-----------------------

Beans

I switched my (lemu2) Lemur UltraThin purchased 02/26/2011 to Mint. No problems, webcam works fine as well.

Ubuntu is terrible with the new Gnome and Unity type of stuff. Mint is actually working a nice desktop interface called Cinnamon.

I'm very happy to be done with Ubuntu. Even tho the switch went fine, to avoid problems in the future I may go with someone else such as ZaReason for my next laptop since they ship with various different distros, including Mint.

Beans

It is actually possible to stay with Ubuntu and yet have the good old Gnome desktop. Install Gnome Shell, and then choose Gnome Classic as a desktop. See how to here.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/m...cise12?lang=en

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I quite like Linux Mint 13 XFCE. I'm thinking about installing it on some computer at some point. It comes with certain codecs pre-installed, which is good, and the XFCE interface reminds me much of the old Gnome look.
    I do run OzUnity3 - BlackOpal64 on my desktop that I built myself. The BlackOpal64 is a respin of Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise), and I can log into it in Gnome Classic. It is wonderful!
    At the moment, I'm still running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid on my Sys76 lappy, but will eventually re-install an newer os onto it. I will probably go with Xubuntu (Ubuntu with the XFCE desktop environment). I can always add certain codecs myself, and the Sys76 driver should install in Xubuntu.
    ZaReason is certainly an option for purchasing a computer with a Linux distro factory loaded onto it, however I would certainly question their customer support. Sys76 support is by far the best I have ever experienced.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast