Thread: I think I messed somthing up

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think I messed somthing up

Hi all I have had troubles with my dads computer and I used a DSl live cd version 3.4 I think(ubuntu wouldn't load) and I kept getting a hard disk error. So I dmesg | grep hd and get the out put then I get this idea to do it on my machine loaded with hardy. Now I got nothing from the output and like a dummy I did a sudo dmesg |grep hd and still got nothing. I went on to do something else like download a torrent and I noticed something strange like azureus wasn't even a option when choosing a torrent client. So I use locate in terminal and it shows up so I try to find it using the option to pick the client to open the torrent file with and I can't locate it even though terminal locate told me where it is. I check and my file system is showing all crazy numbers when I click on properties. I reinstall azureus and it has all my torrents and everything seems fine (except main file system size reporting) so I am at a loss as to what happened and how to fix it. any ideas ? thanks in advance for your time and suggestion

Beans

Re: I think I messed somthing up

What exactly do you mean by "my file system is showing all crazy numbers"? I don't believe that dmesg should be able to do anything to your system from a brief look at the man page.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

my hard drive is a 100 GB and its showing it as 197.1 GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What OS is installed on your dad's machine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

my dad's was a windows xp box now its a dsl live cd for the moment I'm on a hardy box

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What was the problem that was happening in XP?