Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why is Ubuntu better than your previous distro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Why is Ubuntu better than your previous distro?

Because Ubuntu made my USB cable modem "just work", unlike Mandrake 10.1 and SUSE 10.0, and because it comes on one CD, no bloatware.
    Linux is like a wigwam: no gates, no windows and Apache inside. (Chinese proverb c. 910 B.C.)

Beans

For me it was having a single CD with a simple install process that installed a fully functional, working linux distro.

The things that keep me using it are the updates, the availablility of paid support if I get stuck (I own a small business and run nothing but ubuntu on my work machines), and the friendlyness of the community.

I used debian once, and it was nice, but the response from the community was more "RTFM" and less "have you tried xxxx?" Whereas here if someone does tell me to read a manual, they usually post which file to look at, and what specifically I need to focus on.

and who could pass up a distro with that cool of a logo and an open source font?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I had just moved to a wireless system in my apartment, and I was trying to get the frelling wifi card to work in RH9... RH kept claiming the drivers were all installed and compiled appropriately, but it still didn't see my card... It seemed, however, that every time someone talked about their wifi problems on a linux forum, someone responded that a native Ubuntu install worked fine. So. Here I am, apparently successfully on te hinternet. I am quite pleased to have made the switch, in general. Thanks Ubuntu Team and community - y'all are rockstars.
    Last edited by dbw; October 25th, 2005 at 08:47 PM.

Beans

after windows i´ve tried suse, mandrake, yoper and debian, but ubuntu definitly scored on me with the following nice "features":

- the nice hotplug system, which comes out of the box
    - a really cool community without the word rtfm in the dictionary
    - distroupgrade every 6 month
    - good hardware support
    - nice usability with 'ye good olde linux' underneath ( you may geek around, but you dont have to)
    - once again...apt ^^
    - i like the name ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

like other people said, one disc, no rpms, all my hardware detected on isntall (had to use ndiswrapper but no biggie), deb packages, live cd to test and gnome/kde choice, just greatness in one disc

Beans

Ubuntu's Linux Wireless Utility Easier than Windows
    http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/46385/index.html

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345