Thread: Motherboard information

Beans

Motherboard information

I have a question about motherboards. I had a new one put in 2 weeks ago, and it already went bad. So I want to order one myself over the internet this time, but I don't have enough technical knowledge to made an intelligent choice.

Currently my 80 GB Seagate HD has a NF61S Micro 754 AMD Sempron Athlon 64, 1.8 MHz with on board GeForce 6100. I understand this is kind of a generic motherboard that doesn't have much spiff to it anyway. It seemed to freeze a lot before the serial ports blew.

So my questions are:

1. Can I buy just any motherboard bundle and as long as I buy the whole package (including the processor), is it correct that I'm not restricted with respect to socket perimeter?

2. I there a bundle you would recommend that costs under $100 U.S.?

Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Motherboard information

Quote Originally Posted by kalikid View Post
    I have a question about motherboards. I had a new one put in 2 weeks ago, and it already went bad. So I want to order one myself over the internet this time, but I don't have enough technical knowledge to made an intelligent choice.

Currently my 80 GB Seagate HD has a NF61S Micro 754 AMD Sempron Athlon 64, 1.8 MHz with on board GeForce 6100. I understand this is kind of a generic motherboard that doesn't have much spiff to it anyway. It seemed to freeze a lot before the serial ports blew.

So my questions are:

1. Can I buy just any motherboard bundle and as long as I buy the whole package (including the processor), is it correct that I'm not restricted with respect to socket perimeter?

2. I there a bundle you would recommend that costs under $100 U.S.?

Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Cheers.
    HI and if the cpu is still good then just replace the motherboard. But the first thing I would be asking is why two motherboard go bad.

Beans

Re: Motherboard information

I would recommend a cheap Socket AM2 CPU and avoiding VIA or SiS chipsets.
    If 3D performance is important to you, stick with the nvidia 6100 chipset. Otherwise, the AMD 690G chipset probably has more features.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138111
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135049