Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: "Nautilus cannot handle Computer: locations"

Beans

Re: "Nautilus cannot handle Computer: locations"

I'm running openbox and had this problem as well (still do I suppose). However when I start nautilus via dbus-launch "computer:" works just fine.

dbus-launch nautilus --no-desktop

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by samsom View Post

"I just finished helping someone with this issue. It turned out to be caused by an install of glib and gvfs in /usr/local . For everyone having this problem, see if it still happens after 'sudo mv /usr/local /usr/local.old & sudo mkdir /usr/local'."
    It also worked for me. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

IN my case with 9.10, I had installed glib to compile audacious. Removing it manually as described on page 3 fixed the problem.

Beans

Also work for me:

Originally Posted by samsom
    I was checking launchpad.net and realised that my problem was not due to an update but because I had installed glib a couple of days ago. So if anyone else has done the same, there is a solution posted there which worked for me. Here goes...hope it works for you as well.

"I just finished helping someone with this issue. It turned out to be caused by an install of glib and gvfs in /usr/local . For everyone having this problem, see if it still happens after 'sudo mv /usr/local /usr/local.old & sudo mkdir /usr/local'."

Thanks

Beans

I was checking launchpad.net and realised that my problem was not due to an update but because I had installed glib a couple of days ago. So if anyone else has done the same, there is a solution posted there which worked for me. Here goes...hope it works for you as well.

This works for my too, but in my case I dent have a /usr/local/ directory, I done this:

lazyeye@lazyeye-desktop:~$ sudo mkdir /usr/local
    lazyeye@lazyeye-desktop:~$ sudo mv /usr/local /usr/local.old
    lazyeye@lazyeye-desktop:~$ sudo mkdir /usr/local

I am using 64 bit Ubuntu 9.10. Yestarday I was tryíng to install GTK+, GLib, Cairo, ATK, etc just to realize an hour later that my system already has them all.

I am learning how to program Linux applications with C language and GTK+ API
    Last edited by LazyEyeFIME; February 15th, 2010 at 07:34 PM.

Beans

Arrow Re: "Nautilus cannot handle Computer: locations"

I've been struggling with this issue for about a week, insisting on trying the suggested solutions roughly in order of perceived impact/my understanding! Hence, I have

* tried the 'dbus launcher' approach from a terminal (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...39&postcount=9)
    * reinstalled both nautilus & gvfs-backends
    * tried to compile gvfs from source (hit a problem with required package dbus-1, which I couldn't install through aptitude)
    * installed ubuntu-desktop through apt-get

But it looks like glib was the issue for me:

Quote Originally Posted by rjellinek View Post
    One solution: If you've installed upgraded (and non-repository) versions of glib (i.e. past 2.16.x) recently, or a recent non-repository version of gtk+ (which relies on the later versions of glib), go to the source directory that you installed them from and:

Code:
    sudo make uninstall
    Didn't appear to work, unless I needed a reboot first. Stupidly, I didn't try again after following this suggestion:

and went straight for a reboot after the /usr/local 'refresh', so either of the above could have done the job...

Beans

Thank you, phiphi. Your solution worked like a charm.

This has happened quite a few times before. Back then I did not know what was causing it and I couldn't find a fix for it, so I always ended up reinstalling Ubuntu. Now it happened once again and I was very close to throwing my computer through the window.

Seems like I need to be a little bit more active on these forums.

Beans

Thank you rjellinek

glib was indeed the issue for me. With your simple solution of
    Code:
    sudo make uninstall
    everything is back to normal! Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Same here... Problem showed after a glib installation from source...

Doing what samson said, will fix nautilus...

Thks!

Beans

I am having this same problem and I did install glib from source but I also went and followed these steps and uninstalled it but that did not solve my problem with Nautilus opening computer folder and so on. I am using Ubuntu Studio 10.10

Any help would be great thank you

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast