Thread: Windows + Linux making friends

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Windows + Linux making friends

Hi folks,

I'm trying to implement this:

http://www.venturecake.com/a-simple-...pps-in-ubuntu/

I downloaded vmware server from their website (the binary tar.gz file)... I extracted the folder to my desktop, navigated to it (as per the instructions here: http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/install...ckage_manually )

but when I tried the ./configure and make commands, nothing.
    I'm not sure how to install this. (I checked the repos/aptitude, vmware-server is not available).

Help's appreciated,

-'Mage
    "You cannot be frightened of the unknown because you do not know what the unknown contains and so there is nothing to be afraid of." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Windows + Linux making friends

First question: have you installed build essential? If not, go to Synaptic and search for it, and install from there, if you prefer the GUI method.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I have build-essential installed.
    "You cannot be frightened of the unknown because you do not know what the unknown contains and so there is nothing to be afraid of." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Beans

Yea, I believe the problem is actually with whatever instructions you're following for the vmware install.

./vmware-install.pl

is the only command you should need to run once you've extracted the tar...

Beans
    Distro

Problem.

I ran that command as specified, said yes to every question asked (didn't change any default values). Ran into errors when building the vmmon module. As a result I have an icon for VMWare server in my applications menu but that doesn't run anything. How do I remove vmware completely to reinstall it?

received output:

Code:
    Building the vmmon module.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
    In file included from /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/vmware.h:25,
                     from /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:48:
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/vm_basic_types.h:161: error: conflicting types for ‘uintptr_t’
    include/linux/types.h:40: error: previous declaration of ‘uintptr_t’ was here
    In file included from /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.h:20,
                     from /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:49:
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:37:5: warning: "VMW_HAVE_EPOLL" is not defined
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:43:5: warning: "VMW_HAVE_EPOLL" is not defined
    In file included from /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.h:20,
                     from /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:49:
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:60: error: conflicting types for ‘poll_initwait’
    include/linux/poll.h:65: error: previous declaration of ‘poll_initwait’ was here
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:147: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:151: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: In function ‘LinuxDriver_Ioctl’:
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1659: error: ‘struct mm_struct’ has no member named ‘dumpable’
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
    make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
    Unable to build the vmmon module.

For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please 
    visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html" and
    "http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".

Execution aborted.
    What to do?

-'Mage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Code:
    sudo ./vmware-uninstall.pl

Beans
    Distro

OK, thanks.

Now I'm trying to figure out what went wrong as I'd really like this to work... What is linux's C compiler? I have G++ installed so I'm not sure what happened...

-'Mage

EDIT: Or is it that vmware server hasn't been updated to work with linux 8.04 yet?

blahhh...
    Last edited by UnWarierMage224; May 20th, 2008 at 10:32 PM.

Beans

Doh! you'll need the any any patch then...
    http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmw...date115.tar.gz

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Try using Virtual Box instead does the same thing and IMHO it works better. There is a Deb file available for Hardy at their Website. https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP...-F@CDS-CDS_SMI

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cjm5229 View Post
    Try using Virtual Box instead does the same thing and IMHO it works better. There is a Deb file available for Hardy at their Website. https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP...-F@CDS-CDS_SMI
    I will give that a try. Is it a matter of following the posted guide but using virtualbox instead of vmware server?

Thanks,

-'Mage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast