Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [SOLVED] Installing a Brother DCP-110C printer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Installing a Brother DCP-110C printer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Svinlesha View Post
    PS: One possible clue: last time I went into Synaptic, and searched under "DCP110," I found the files you referred to ("cupswrapperdcp110c," "DCP110clpr").

Now they're gone.
    When did you remove them? Before or after you reinstalled the drivers packages from Synaptic? The results of checking localhost:631 suggest that the drivers are installed. I've just had a thought, and will return shortly.

Beans
    Distro

If you would be so kind as to go back to Firefox and type in http://localhoust:631/ in the bar and get to CUPS again, please select "Manage Printers" and see if the driver shows for the printer. If it does, then the next thing I suggest is (an old trick from back in the CP/M days) totally close out the computer, power it and the printer down. Wait about a minute or so, turn on the printer and then turn the computer on, and see what happens.

If, instead, the driver does not show under CUPS, then it will need to be installed again. Just a thought.

Beans

Definitely worth a shot. The page says DCP110 is my default printer, drivers installed (Brother DCP-110C CUPS v1.1).

Back shortly.
    How can we have any coffee if we don't roast the beans?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I can't go through this every time I upgrade Ubuntu. This has to be fixed. It's really frustrating.
    It is now a lot easier now the drivers are included in Synaptic.After the next upgrade,just remember to use Synaptic and not the download from the Brother site.

I reinstalled my printer using the Brother site as I didn't know that the drivers had been included in Synaptic.Everything seems to get a little easier with every upgrade.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans

You are a genius. Worked like a charm. Thank you muchly.

I'll mark the thread as solved.

Once again, many thanks both to you avtolle, and everyone else who's helped me out in this thread.
    How can we have any coffee if we don't roast the beans?

Beans
    Distro

Outstanding! Sometimes, those things those of us with a bit of age had to do "back then" still work. It has been a pleasure working with you. Best of luck.
    That also goes for you, plucky; a real pleasure.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by avtolle View Post
    Outstanding! Sometimes, those things those of us with a bit of age had to do "back then" still work.
    Isn't THAT the truth. Well done with your assistance in this thread. After looking at what finally worked, I wonder if simply turning off & disconnecting the printer, restarting the cups server (/etc/init.d/cupsys restart), and then reconnecting and turning the printer back on, would have done the same thing. Another trick from the old days.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HotShotDJ View Post
    Isn't THAT the truth. Well done with your assistance in this thread. After looking at what finally worked, I wonder if simply turning off & disconnecting the printer, restarting the cups server (/etc/init.d/cupsys restart), and then reconnecting and turning the printer back on, would have done the same thing. Another trick from the old days.
    I wondered the same thing myself, but thought it simpler to have him just totally shut down and restart the computer after turning the printer on. Memories of those tricks from "back then" do stay with us, don't they?

And, for me, your assistance with this was also appreciated. The use of the all purpose fix it, as you termed it, slipped my mind, and, given what was happening, was the appropriate step to be taken.
    Last edited by avtolle; May 21st, 2008 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Correct typo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123