Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Installing a Brother DCP-110C printer

Beans

Re: Installing a Brother DCP-110C printer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Svinlesha View Post
    Oh, woe is me. Can anyone help the widow's son?
    I can't resist melodrama! Lets try the catch-all fix-er-up command (it may or may not work)
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans

Groovy. If you like melodrama, you've come to the right place. My wife tells me that I' very melodramatic.

Anyway, I ran your command and it started update manager, which preceeded with a "partial upgrade;" reinstalled this kio-unmountwrapper and removed 89 obsolete packages. (It was very dramatic.)

Now my queued printing job is gone, but the printer icon is still there along with the "cups-missing-filter" error.

I have to go to work in a few minutes so I'll be out of the loop for a few hours...but I'm guessing the "cups-missing-filter" error is related to problem avtolle referred to earlier: that you have to manually create a folder for the cups files. I saw that reference somewhere but have lost it again.

Anyway, Synaptic is clean again as well. Next step, anyone?

PS: Thanks, HotShot.
    How can we have any coffee if we don't roast the beans?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Synaptic is clean again as well. Next step, anyone?

Open Synaptic and search for DCP110 and you should find
    cupswrapperdcp110c
    DCP110clpr
    with green boxes next to them if the previous install went ok.Select the boxes and mark for complete deinstallation and APPLY

IF THAT WORKS -and the two drivers are deinstalled,then again in Synaptic search for Brother. You should find a list of Packages all starting with Brother.

Select the packages brother-cups-wrapper-extra and brother-lpr-drivers-extra and mark for installation and APPLY.

Again it that works then go to System > Administration > Printing and with printer powered on,Cups should find and install it.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Clarification on something I posted to this thread yesterday. The missing file problem (hopefully) only exists if one is installing the drivers from the Brother website. If the drivers are installed from the repositories (not tried this myself, as I did the installation of drivers from the Brother site), it would be logical to think that the file needed would be created as part of the installation from Synaptic. However, it is something to keep in mind if problems persist after following plucky's post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by plucky View Post
    Open Synaptic and search for DCP110 and you should find
    with green boxes next to them if the previous install went ok.Select the boxes and mark for complete deinstallation and APPLY

IF THAT WORKS -and the two drivers are deinstalled,then again in Synaptic search for Brother. You should find a list of Packages all starting with Brother.

Select the packages brother-cups-wrapper-extra and brother-lpr-drivers-extra and mark for installation and APPLY.

Again it that works then go to System > Administration > Printing and with printer powered on,Cups should find and install it.

Good Luck
    I think he needs to mark brother-cups-wrapper-extra and brother-lpr-drivers-extra, together with brother-common at least for complete removal. If he searches for the specific drivers you indicate, I don't think he will find them. Then he should mark the appropriate packages for installation as you point out.

@ Mr. Svinlesha: I just used the appropriate packages from the repositories to install the drivers for my MFC-240C on a new install of Linux Mint 5 Beta, which I am testing for use (potentially) by our younger daughter. No attempt had been made to install this printer previously, so I was working with a clean slate. Installed from Synaptic, and all is well; no need to add the "missing file", as the Synaptic install apparently took care of it. So, my current recommendation is to follow plucky's advice, as indicated previously, and let us know how it goes.

Beans

First off, I just want to say you guys aren't just great -- you're really great. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Secondly, I must sadly report that your suggests haven't worked.

I followed plucky's instructions, and they seemed to work, but of course the printer didn't. Then I did something really stupid (probably): I figured I probably needed to remove the printer entirely, so I deleted it from System > Administration > Printing. Then I redid the whole process from scratch. Then I reselected the printer. Again, no dice.

Can I have missed a step? The last time I tried to install this printer, I was forced to reinstall Ubuntu from scratch before I got it to work. Please tell I'm not going to have to go through that again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Mr. Svinlesha,

Open a terminal and input
    Code:
    lsusb
    lpstat -v
    lpq
    Copy and paste to forum.What errors do you get when you try to print?

Start Firefox and put in address bar
    Code:
    http://localhost:631/
    will take you to the CUPS printer page.See what you can do to troubleshoot the printer.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans

lsusb:
    Bus 005 Device 003: ID 041e:4055 Creative Technology, Ltd
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04f9:0169 Brother Industries, Ltd
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    lpstat -v
    device for DCP-110C: usb://Brother/DCP-110C
    device for PDF: cups-pdf:/
    lpd:
    DCP-110C is ready
    no entries
    I'll check the Firefox page and see what I can find out.

Beans

Well, I can't figure out what might be wrong so far.

I do have this to say: I can't go through this every time I upgrade Ubuntu. This has to be fixed. It's really frustrating.

Beans

PS: One possible clue: last time I went into Synaptic, and searched under "DCP110," I found the files you referred to ("cupswrapperdcp110c," "DCP110clpr").

Now they're gone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast