Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new server setup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: new server setup

1) Many guides on the net
    2) As server in a production area I'd use Debian. - Debian has proven to be rock-stable and Ubuntu is based on Debian. So what you learn in Ubuntu you can also apply do Debian.
    3) How specific do permissions have to be? Generally the fileserver for sharing documents with windows clients is SAMBA
    4) What kind of domains? Just normal internet domains for webpages and email? If so, do they use ASP to create dynamic sites? Databases?
    5) There are many mail servers... I love postfix.

And don't use a gui

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok, I can't connect the server to the net yet so I am using another to write what it says:
    Code:
    *-cpu:0
        Product: Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 270
        vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
        physical id: 1
        bus info: cpu@0
        version: 15.1.2
        size: 2GHz
        width: 64 bits
        capabilities: fppu fpu_exception wp vme de psse tsc pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mnx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr opt x86-64 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy ts fid vid ttp

*-cpu:1
        Product: Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 270
        vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
        physical id: 3
        bus info: cpu@1
        version: 15.1.2
        size: 2GHz
        width: 64 bits
        capabilities: fppu fpu_exception wp vme de psse tsc pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mnx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr opt x86-64 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy ts fid vid ttp
    I take it there are 2 processors. So correct me if I am wrong but I should use the Hardy version of AMD 64-bit?

Beans

yes you should use the AMD 64bit version of Hardy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have the ubuntu-8.04-dvd-amd64 3.64GB downloaded. Is this the correct one or is there a different one for the server setup?
    When I start to set up the server, particularly installing Ubuntu do I need to be hooked to internet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    1) Many guides on the net
    2) As server in a production area I'd use Debian. - Debian has proven to be rock-stable and Ubuntu is based on Debian. So what you learn in Ubuntu you can also apply do Debian.
    3) How specific do permissions have to be? Generally the fileserver for sharing documents with windows clients is SAMBA
    4) What kind of domains? Just normal internet domains for webpages and email? If so, do they use ASP to create dynamic sites? Databases?
    5) There are many mail servers... I love postfix.

And don't use a gui
    Please explain why Debian would be better? I know so little about Ubuntu that I won't realize the difference. I am not opposed to using either. I just don't want to do things twice, especially when it is up and running.

The current server acts more as a file sharing devise. Whereas, the files are put there for access by whomever needs it. There is an M$ Access database file there also. However that is mainly it. Trying to bring it around to the 21st century but the current server isn't capable. One step a at time. OH yeah, also an accouting package, Peachtree, I think.

The current mail (inner office) is done with M$ Mail. This is no longer supported with any M$ OS's. I will probably have to abandon it although I would hope to archieve and pull the contact list into a new package. I am not sure if there is a compatable email package available in Linux though.

Beans

no that is wrong image, there is an ubuntu-8.04-server-amd64 ISO that you need to download to run the server edition. They should all be CDs and not DVDs. you will need to connect to the internet at some point. if you know all network information (which you should) then you can add this during the setup and connect to the internet once you are done. you will need to install upgrades once the server has been setup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Why no GUI? Is it possible to use GUI? I guess I just need to cowboy up and learn the code, huh? It will get me further in the future I bet.

Beans

Well for linux and unix servers, yopu normally don't install a GUI since that would create unnessesary overhead. They would normally run headless (i.e. no monitor attached) and you use ssh to connect to the server from another computer. There are several ways to install a GUI, the easiest being
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    That will install the GUI that comes with ubuntu desktop edition but it has a lot of desktop software that is not necessary on a server. You could also try:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xorg gdm gnome-core synaptic
    this will install the basic gnome desktop, xorg, gdm and synaptic. the system will complain when you log in that there are some packages missing but you can then use synaptic to install any other packages that you need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Is there any reply to the Debian v. Ubuntu? I am now downloading the Ubuntu pkg. but could do the same for Debian. Although, which version? Space isn't really an issue. I think it is an internal battle for learning the code. I have been doing more and more and feeling a lot more comfortable yet, unsure.

Beans

they are very similar, you can follow any guide for debian on an ubuntu computer and vice versa. Debian is supposed to be more stable, you can keep the servers running forever, or until you want to upgrade or patch the kernel. ubuntu is a child of debian, just like linux mint and linspire are also a childs of debian.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast