Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Connecting to OpenSSh Server

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    26

    Connecting to OpenSSh Server

    I setup an openssh-server, and is wondering how do I connect to it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Beans
    232
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Connecting to OpenSSh Server

    Quote Originally Posted by hwang251 View Post
    I setup an openssh-server, and is wondering how do I connect to it?
    From another machine, open a terminal window and type

    Code:
    ssh username@192.168.0.0
    and replace "username" with your username and "192.168.0.0" with the IP address of your server.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Beans
    2,909
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Connecting to OpenSSh Server

    From the command line of the client machine:

    ssh user@servername_or_IP

    It will prompt you for the user's password and then you will be logged on to the server at a command prompt.

    -Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

    Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Beans
    232
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Connecting to OpenSSh Server

    Tim and I both had the same answer ... does that answer your question? There are many ways to connect to a machine via ssh depending on what you want to do.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Beans
    2,909
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Connecting to OpenSSh Server

    I guess we should also add that on a Windoze machine you can use PuTTY.

    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html

    -Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

    Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    26

    Re: Connecting to OpenSSh Server

    Quote Originally Posted by davidshere View Post
    From another machine, open a terminal window and type

    Code:
    ssh username@192.168.0.0
    and replace "username" with your username and "192.168.0.0" with the IP address of your server.
    I tried it, but the the thing times out.
    When you say username, do you mean a username created on the machine or hostname.

    And is the address, the address next to "inet addr" when I type in ifconfig

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Beans
    2,909
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Connecting to OpenSSh Server

    Quote Originally Posted by hwang251 View Post
    I tried it, but the the thing times out.
    When you say username, do you mean a username created on the machine or hostname.

    And is the address, the address next to "inet addr" when I type in ifconfig
    The user name would be the user you created on the server.

    The IP address would be the IP address of the server you are trying to connect to.

    Also, on the server run this command to start the ssh daemon:

    /usr/sbin/sshd

    -Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

    Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ~/PA/USA
    Beans
    1,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Connecting to OpenSSh Server

    You can see if the port is open by issuing the command:

    nmap yourserverip (or your http://server.com)

    Could be a firewall issue, you need to allow access to that port (22).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    26

    Re: Connecting to OpenSSh Server

    Quote Originally Posted by windependence View Post
    The user name would be the user you created on the server.

    The IP address would be the IP address of the server you are trying to connect to.

    Also, on the server run this command to start the ssh daemon:

    /usr/sbin/sshd

    -Tim
    Could you elaborate more about running that command, cause it does not seem to work, when I type that command, and I can't seem to find that folder

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Beans
    232
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Connecting to OpenSSh Server

    Quote Originally Posted by cdtech View Post
    Could be a firewall issue, you need to allow access to that port (22).
    If it were a firewall issue, wouldn't it say "connection refused" right away?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •