Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to enable Apple Macbook MB403LL/A Wifi (Broadcom Corp. BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n)

Beans

Talking How to enable Apple Macbook MB403LL/A Wifi (Broadcom Corp. BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n)

1. type sudo lshw for hardware information.
    search for
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
    version: 03
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0

OR type lspci
    search for

02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03)

If you have this network card Download this file and extract it to ubuntu desktop bcmwl5.zip

2. Go to ---->Applications--->Add/Remove-->System Tools----->and search for application---> Windows Wireless Drivers Ndiswrapper driver installation tool.

3. check the box for Windows Wireless Drivers Ndiswrapper driver installation tool and click Apply Changes. now you have ndiswrapper installed on your system.

4. Now go to System--->Administration--->Windows Wireless Drivers.

5. click Install New Driver--->select inf file location (e.g. /home/ubuntu/Desktop/bcmwl5.inf)

6. click Install.

7. Now go to System--->Administration-->Network--->select Wireless connection and click properties --> uncheck Enable roaming mode.

8. a) now select your ESSID (e.g.DLINK_WIRELESS)
    b) Password type (e.g.WPA2 Personal)
    c) Network Password -----------
    d) Connection settings----(depending upon your network)

9. click ok

10. Done.
    Last edited by vanakush; May 20th, 2008 at 06:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to enable Apple Macbook MB403LL/A Wifi (Broadcom Corp. BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n)

Does not include the 64bit driver. Also could you please name the source of the driver file?

Beans

Re: How to enable Apple Macbook MB403LL/A Wifi (Broadcom Corp. BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    Does not include the 64bit driver.
    Yes it does, because this driver is both for 32/64-bits.
    Also could you please name the source of the driver file?
    I've unzipped both files and compared them with those on the DVD #1 (BootCamp stuff) that came with my MBP 4,1 -- they're identical. Note that the OP has a rev 03 wireless chip; the newest is rev 05. The zip-file isn't needed as all MBP 4,1 owners will have that DVD...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hajk View Post
    Yes it does, because this driver is both for 32/64-bits.
    The .sys file is the actual driver... the inf is a descriptor and is valid for both 32 and 64 bits, but you still need the 64bit sys file. check on the dvd package.

Beans

It keeps telling me that its an invalid driver whenever I try to install it in the Windows Wireless Drivers app.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRider617 View Post
    It keeps telling me that its an invalid driver whenever I try to install it in the Windows Wireless Drivers app.
    then you are not using the right driver for your hardware.

you can see the installed drivers with
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    using the names you see from the output of the above command, you can remove the "bad" drivers with:
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -r drivername

Beans

I also always get invalid driver, athough I use the same macbook which is MB403 and with Broadcom BCM4328 as you.

I wonder if you are using 32 bit version of ubuntu? Since I am using 64 bit version.SO if the driver is got from win Xp which is 32bit, it won't work on 64bit ubuntu.

Do you have driver from vista?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hudarsono View Post
    I also always get invalid driver, athough I use the same macbook which is MB403 and with Broadcom BCM4328 as you.

I wonder if you are using 32 bit version of ubuntu? Since I am using 64 bit version.SO if the driver is got from win Xp which is 32bit, it won't work on 64bit ubuntu.

Do you have driver from vista?
    The Leopard DVD contains a driver for both 32bit and 64bit WinXP. The Vista drivers do not work with ndiswrapper (not yet anyway).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    The Leopard DVD contains a driver for both 32bit and 64bit WinXP. The Vista drivers do not work with ndiswrapper (not yet anyway).
    Would you explain to me how to extract 64bit Broadcom driver from Leopard DVD?

Or is the driver can be got from somewhere?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hudarsono View Post
    Would you explain to me how to extract 64bit Broadcom driver from Leopard DVD?

Or is the driver can be got from somewhere?
    You use the same inf file for both. you just need to have the other files in the directory with it.

What Mac (and hardware version) do you have? I will show you the proper page to follow for your hardware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast