Thread: 60%-100% cpu spikes!! PLZ HELP!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

60%-100% cpu spikes!! PLZ HELP!!

Hey, whenever a program uses the internet the cpu usage spikes to anything from 60%-100%. Its not just FF, if im downloading something from synaptic it does the same thing. I tried using top but it just tells me that the program using the internet is causing it but there cant be a problem with every prog that uses internet so i think it may be wifi. I have a Belkin F5D7050B usb wifi Dongle with ndiswrapper. The dongle works with native drivers and windows drivers but the problem exists with both. When i first started using ndiswrapper the prob went away for a week and everythin seemed fine then it randomly started happening again, ive reinstalled the drivers but no joy. PLZ HELP!!
    computer-howto
    Linux is not windows
    Fluxbox & Flux menu how to
    Programming is an art. Learn it, Live it, Love it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 60%-100% cpu spikes!! PLZ HELP!!

bump
    computer-howto
    Linux is not windows
    Fluxbox & Flux menu how to
    Programming is an art. Learn it, Live it, Love it!

Beans

Re: 60%-100% cpu spikes!! PLZ HELP!!

Its not the end of the world to have 60-100% CPU but you might try getting powertop and when you run it you will get some tips on lowering power usage for you system if you look at the bottom of the output it will present you with a key to press to try to implement the fixes it suggests. For my laptop it changed my CPU usage mode for me and my CPU throttled down as a result so I suggest you try that and PM me if you need further help as I probably wont see a further question in this thread.

Hope that helps

nicedude