Thread: recover data from reformatted hard drive - possiblmgramue?

Beans

recover data from reformatted hard drive - possiblmgramue?

I have a computer that crashed with some files on it I'd like to recover. It was running Windows XP, which refused boot, so I installed Ubuntu on it, expecting the option during installation that I got when installing it onto my other machine, to transfer documents to the new partition.

Installing on this machine did not give me that option, as the only guided partition option available was to format the entire disk, and the manual partition option caused the computer to freeze up and eventually return to the previous installation screen. So I reformatted the entire disk for Ubuntu.

Now the computer runs fine, in fact it's a lot better than it was before the crash! But the files that were on it before do not appear to be on the hard drive as viewed through nautilus. Did I erase everything when I formatted the entire disk or is there still some way to retrieve the old files from when it was running windows?

I downloaded dd_rhelp, but I've only found instructions on copying from one disk to another, not for recovering files on the same disk that aren't recognized by Ubuntu. I'm not sure if that's really what's going on with my system here, but I guess that's the first part of the question I'm posting about. The second part would be, of course, if it's possible, how do I get the file back?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: recover data from reformatted hard drive - possiblmgramue?

Did I erase everything when I formatted the entire disk or is there still some way to retrieve the old files from when it was running windows?
    Yes, you erased everything. Now it might be possible to retrieve some files. Check out test disk.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Re: recover data from reformatted hard drive - possiblmgramue?

testdisk worked BEAUTIFULLY... thanks a million!