Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Brother MFC-240c not printing

Beans

Re: Brother MFC-240c not printing

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_Hollywood View Post
    I tried to do the instructions given above via links to other threads.
    Mark... please use the packages found in the standard software repository (System --> Administration --> Synaptic Package Manager). Look at the web site I linked to. Find your printer model, and then use Synaptic to install the proper package.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by HotShotDJ View Post
    Mark... please use the packages found in the standard software repository (System --> Administration --> Synaptic Package Manager). Look at the web site I linked to. Find your printer model, and then use Synaptic to install the proper package.
    That is what I did. Using Syn PM, I found the Brother packages and installed them. Still no printer.

Please see my previous post for screenshots of trying to reinstall the lpr.
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I tried to do the instructions given above via links to other threads.

I d/l-d the brother lpr driver. Right click brought up GDebi. See attached screenshots.
    You need both the lpr driver and the cups wrapper for that printer, or at least I did. BTW, are you using AMD-64 8.04?

Beans

That is what I did. Using Syn PM, I found the Brother packages and installed them. Still no printer.

Please see my previous post for screenshots of trying to reinstall the lpr.
    Right... when you did the gdebi thing, you got the conflict. Which is fine. You do not want to install the downloaded package. Now go back to the printing dialog that we looked at earlier. Select the Brother printer that isn't working. Now, click on the "Change" button next to the printer make and model line. Work through the dialogs... they should be self explanatory. This will change your system to use the proper driver, now that it is installed.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by avtolle View Post
    You need both the lpr driver and the cups wrapper for that printer
    When he installed the driver package for his printer, the cups wrapper SHOULD have been pulled in as a dependency. However, it certainly would not hurt to check that if he has difficulty with setting up the printer in the Printing setup dialog.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

When he installed the driver package for his printer, the cups wrapper SHOULD have been pulled in as a dependency. However, it certainly would not hurt to check that if he has difficulty with setting up the printer in the Printing setup dialog.
    Right. Do you know whether installing the driver packages from Synaptic removes the need to create the file the Brother driver looks for, which is not automatically created in 8.04? Since I did my driver install before the drivers were in Synaptic, I'm not familiar with what installing the drivers from the repos does, thus the query.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You need both the lpr driver and the cups wrapper for that printer, or at least I did. BTW, are you using AMD-64 8.04?
    Not using 64bit or AMD.
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Right... when you did the gdebi thing, you got the conflict. Which is fine. You do not want to install the downloaded package. Now go back to the printing dialog that we looked at earlier. Select the Brother printer that isn't working. Now, click on the "Change" button next to the printer make and model line. Work through the dialogs... they should be self explanatory. This will change your system to use the proper driver, now that it is installed.
    Opened the System/Admin/Printing. Saw the MFC-240C, highlighted it, clicked change, saw a small window: "searching for drivers". It closed and re-opened again with "searching for drivers" (or some like words). A moment later, the Printer panel or window, what you may call it, was done, but the Apply or Revert was greyed-out. I closed that and tried to print from Gedit, but nothing printed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Changing the PPD over fixed it.

Thank you everyone.

Beans

Do you know whether installing the driver packages from Synaptic removes the need to create the file the Brother driver looks for, which is not automatically created in 8.04?
    I am operating under the assumption that the packages from the official repository were created correctly for Hardy, and therefore create all the files necessary to use the package. We will know more when Mark reports back from the last step that I posted above. (I'm a firm believer in crossing a bridge only if I come to it )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast