Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: [SOLVED] Brother MFC-240c not printing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rumplestiltskin, Cal.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    [SOLVED] Brother MFC-240c not printing

    My Brother MFC-240C printer won't print. Sane works!

    mark@Lexington-19:~$ sudo lsusb

    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04f9:01ab Brother Industries, Ltd

    I'm not getting any error messages. The printer icon does NOT appear in the panel.

    Synaptic PM shows the MFC-240C as installed. HELLlppp!
    AMD Athlon II X4 620, 4gig ddr2-800, m/b MSI K9N6PGM2, 1T SATA, EVGA 9500GT, Brother MFC-240C prntr, LG DVD-rom GSA-H55N

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Conn., United States
    Beans
    1,644

    Re: Brother MFC-240c not printing

    You may need to set it up in System --> Administration --> Printing. Take a look there first and if you run into trouble, check back with us.

    OH.. found this after I posted the above: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BrotherDriverPackaging
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Beans
    2,967
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_Hollywood View Post
    My Brother MFC-240C printer won't print. Sane works!

    mark@Lexington-19:~$ sudo lsusb

    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04f9:01ab Brother Industries, Ltd

    I'm not getting any error messages. The printer icon does NOT appear in the panel.

    Synaptic PM shows the MFC-240C as installed. HELLlppp!
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=590793 is something to which you might want to refer, if you haven't already. Used it to install MC-240C under 8.04. There might be something in there that would help you. BTW, see my post to the thread several weeks ago about setting up a directory (sorry, my notes aren't here, and memory isn't good) that the installer will look for, but which isn't set up under 8.04; a note to this effect is on the Brother website as well. HTH.

    Edit: At the terminal
    Code:
    mkdir /usr/share/cups/MFC240C
    is what is needed to be created, IIRC.
    Last edited by avtolle; May 19th, 2008 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Give more information.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rumplestiltskin, Cal.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Brother MFC-240c not printing

    Quote Originally Posted by HotShotDJ View Post
    You may need to set it up in System --> Administration --> Printing. Take a look there first and if you run into trouble, check back with us.

    OH.. found this after I posted the above: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BrotherDriverPackaging
    Please see the attached screenshots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMD Athlon II X4 620, 4gig ddr2-800, m/b MSI K9N6PGM2, 1T SATA, EVGA 9500GT, Brother MFC-240C prntr, LG DVD-rom GSA-H55N

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Beans
    2,967
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Brother MFC-240c not printing

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_Hollywood View Post
    Please see the attached screenshots.
    From what you posted, you have the "generic" driver installed. You will need to install the appropriate driver from the Brother website, the details of which are contained in the link I posted a bit ago.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rumplestiltskin, Cal.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Brother MFC-240c not printing

    Quote Originally Posted by avtolle View Post
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=590793 is something to which you might want to refer, if you haven't already. Used it to install MC-240C under 8.04. There might be something in there that would help you. BTW, see my post to the thread several weeks ago about setting up a directory (sorry, my notes aren't here, and memory isn't good) that the installer will look for, but which isn't set up under 8.04; a note to this effect is on the Brother website as well. HTH.

    Edit: At the terminal
    Code:
    mkdir /usr/share/cups/MFC240C
    is what is needed to be created, IIRC.
    Your Edit has me a little confused. I can do the cut & paste in the terminal, but what is IIRC?
    AMD Athlon II X4 620, 4gig ddr2-800, m/b MSI K9N6PGM2, 1T SATA, EVGA 9500GT, Brother MFC-240C prntr, LG DVD-rom GSA-H55N

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Conn., United States
    Beans
    1,644

    Re: Brother MFC-240c not printing

    Quote Originally Posted by avtolle View Post
    You will need to install the appropriate driver from the Brother website
    No. This is no longer necessary. The drivers are in the regular ubuntu software repository. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BrotherDriverPackaging
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Beans
    2,967
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Brother MFC-240c not printing

    IIRC=If I recall correctly. Do not cut and paste that.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Beans
    2,967
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Brother MFC-240c not printing

    Quote Originally Posted by HotShotDJ View Post
    No. This is no longer necessary. The drivers are in the regular ubuntu software repository. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BrotherDriverPackaging
    Good to know.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rumplestiltskin, Cal.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Brother MFC-240c not printing

    I tried to do the instructions given above via links to other threads.

    I d/l-d the brother lpr driver. Right click brought up GDebi. See attached screenshots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark_in_Hollywood; May 19th, 2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: forgot screenshots
    AMD Athlon II X4 620, 4gig ddr2-800, m/b MSI K9N6PGM2, 1T SATA, EVGA 9500GT, Brother MFC-240C prntr, LG DVD-rom GSA-H55N

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •