Thread: Install Ubuntu 8.04 over Gusty and NOT XP!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Install Ubuntu 8.04 over Gusty and NOT XP!

I've recently recieved my Ubuntu 8.04 install disc and im dying to give it a try (as ive heard it has no problems with Acer 5315). My Problem is that I currently Have a duel boot with xp and Gusty, i want to replace the gusty with 8.04 (Hardy Heron) and keep my Xp as i have important programs on there. Could someone please advise me on how to do this if its possible. Thanks, loads!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Install Ubuntu 8.04 over Gusty and NOT XP!

Boot to ubuntu and insert your CD into your drive. As far as I remember u will then be asked if you want to upgrade... And then, well, the rest should be obvious...

EDIT: However, if you wan a clean install instead of an update, you could install ubuntu from CD (as u would if ther was no Linux on the disk) and choose to overwrite your Linux partition. Be careful to choose the right one, because choosing the wrong one would probably mess up your whole system.
    Last edited by ichigo; May 19th, 2008 at 09:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You might also want to make sure that "Release Upgrades" are set to "Normal releases" or "LTS releases", under the "Updates section" of the Software Sources program (System/Administration/Software Sources). If you are not prompted to update upon insertion of the CD, you can start Update Manager manually.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wink Re: Install Ubuntu 8.04 over Gusty and NOT XP!

Quote Originally Posted by ichigo View Post
    Boot to ubuntu and insert your CD into your drive. As far as I remember u will then be asked if you want to upgrade... And then, well, the rest should be obvious...

EDIT: However, if you wan a clean install instead of an update, you could install ubuntu from CD (as u would if ther was no Linux on the disk) and choose to overwrite your Linux partition. Be careful to choose the right one, because choosing the wrong one would probably mess up your whole system.
    x2

Beans

Here.Select manual way to partition.