Thread: Ubuntu 6.06 won't recognize SATA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Ubuntu 6.06 won't recognize SATA

Hello!

To preface, I am a newcomer to the Ubuntu scene, so forgive the newbie questions/knowledge that I will more than likely present throughout.

Ok, I have a Blue and White G3 with Ubuntu Server 6.06 installed. I have a SATA PCI card installed in the machine, with a 500 GB drive attached. The OS is installed on a 6GB IDE drive. The install goes off without a hitch. It even recognizes the 500 GB drive at that point. But after the installation, I cannot get it to find the drive. An fdisk -l presents the IDE drive, but not the SATA drive. I tried to enter in the information in /etc/fstab, but upon a reboot nothing seems to happen. Reading the logs didn't seem to really provide anything, although I have to admit the logs had a lot to say, I just may not have the knowledge to comprehend. Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu 6.06 won't recognize SATA

Looks like you'll want to use

mac-fdisk

to partition that extra drive, and then mount it manually, or put it into /etc/fstab.

I don't have any personal experience with mac-fdisk, so hopefully someone can jump in.

I did see some good info on the Gentoo wiki:
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...ap=4#doc_chap3

that might help out, although the focus is on a boot setup.
    Last edited by stream303; May 20th, 2008 at 04:38 AM. Reason: typo
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: Ubuntu 6.06 won't recognize SATA

Hmm... I'll give that a shot this evening. Thank you!