Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: [Virtually] Complete repositories in DVD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: [Virtually] Complete repositories in DVD

hmm, afaik, the main, universe, multiverse, restricted, and backports' around 80-90GB. i tried downloading those (Feisty) repos using apt-mirror to my Maxtor 250GB External HDD so I have a portable repo with me during my stint at camarines norte.

Beans

Hmmmmmmmm... So ano kaya yung dinadownload ko....

Anyway, I'll know it when I get there...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by daxumaming View Post
    I'm all for this initiative, however, I'd go against DVD and use plain old CD-Rs or CD-RWs for the following reasons:

1) most of the school's and companies I've been with order workstations with CD-ROM drives, not DVD
    2) it'll take days to download, even with a fast internet connection
    3) you'll dispose of it after 6mos.

So I'd rather go for CD-RWs and use AptOnCD to create ISOs from cached downloads. Here's the catch though, I need to know exactly what applications one need. I won't, obviously, download all the apps on the repo - that's just crazy.

I actually have a set of ISOs in my possession that contains LAMP/Server, Development, Graphics, Animation, Office, and Multimedia apps. Each set is placed on one CD, this way, I know exactly what CD to apt-cdrom instead of listing them all on sources.list when I only need to install one app.

Also, I don't bother downloading apps I've never heard of, it's a waste of bandwidth and space.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com <-- nandito mga DVD isos
    RE DVD vs CD
    I originally started this thread with schools and other organizations in mind as priority. So, perhaps Dax there is right. Again, I imagine Ubuntu is top choice for many because it's ideal for older units/systems (and perhaps it's safe to assume that those have CD-Roms instead of DVD right?)

RE Apps to include
    I think a different thread needs to be started, or a totally separate poll page. I'll try to come up with a voting system kung saan makaka-pamili na lang ang boboto sa top three choices nya per category. Let's say we assign a category for each sort of task, then the applications as sub-items for those categories. I have a general concept here, but I still have to work out the details.

RE Disk repos' lifespan (short..real short)
    It's just going to be the price for something like this I guess. Well, at least schools, other institutions and everyone else gets the repos without having to cough up the cash for bandwidth right? Plus, CDs have become cheap since some time ago. So as far as the 6-month limitation of these disks is concerned, I think the hurdle would be initial in nature. Once we have the disk packages set-up, all we need to do is update them. And if we do release in tandem with Ubuntu major releases, we get some working time to work out a system of some sort.
    "Always prefer to believe in the good of people."

Pinoy Tech Buzz
    My Personal Site

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

maganda nga din yung mga sinasabi ni dax and nhatz. yung specialized compilation ng repos. may para sa education, may para sa video/audio enthusiasts, may para sa graphics. siguro mas madali nga yung ganito kasi naka sort na din by category yung mga apps. kung hindi naman pala kakayanin sa iisang dvd ang buong repo e di hatiin na nga lang pero naka categorize according to a specific interest. mas madali din mamili ng apps para saming common users na hindi masyadong techie.

Beans

@daxumaming

Kasama ba yung source codes nung nagdowload ka noon?

Kase yung iniisip ko kaya naging ganoon kala sya kase, kasama yung source codes...

Then kaya ganito kaliit yung mga ida-download ko, kase wala etong source codes...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

oh yeah, kasama pati source, pero i still don't think a repo would fit on one dvd though. that's around 65K+ apps

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234