Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why windows is better

Beans

why windows is better

Beans

Re: why windows is better

You know, I have being trying to dump Windows for months now and the problem I have it that it is more robust than Linux. This maybe this is for the wrong reasons but the fact remains. nevertheless.

As an example I would recite dvdstyler. In a previous encarnation of Linux this worked well, letting me author dvds for burning via K3b. Now it does not work due to a problem with one of its major dependencies, mjpegtools. I don't begin to understand the problem but it is there nonetheless if the reports I read are to be believed (certainly dvd styler no longer works)

Why should this be I ask? Maybe the strength of Linux is also its weakness. Applications tend to rely on components that are developed under different streams; Dvdstyler relies on mjpeg tools but do the devlopers of mjpeg tools ever consider dvdstyer? What guarantee is there that a piece of software actually keeps abreast of the development of its dependencies and, importantly, how do we find out if there is an issue other than by bugs being identified?

Stand alone software that includes all its own sub-routines is possibly the only answer. The Linux way is, of course, far better but only if cohesion can be guaranteed. And it seems that it cannot be in all cases.

I won't ditch Linux, 'cause its fun. But for seriouse work on the video/digital imaging front (and possibly others) Windows/Mac still have it sown up.

My view anyway - hope it improves.
    C
    Last edited by ColinG; October 21st, 2005 at 02:37 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ColinG
    Dvdstyler relies on mjpeg tools but do the devlopers of mjpeg tools ever consider dvdstyer?
    Strong arguments have been made for most software to be statically compiled. This means that, for instance, DVDStyler would have the correct version of mjpegtools built in. Each program would be bigger, but dependency problems would not exist. There are good reasons for doing it both ways. System libraries are very useful when dynamically linked and they save RAM. You wouldn't want each of KDE, Kate, Konqueror and KMail to have to load separate QT and KDE libraries, would you?

Let's not forget that Windows suffers from a nearly identical problem. It's called DLL Hell. You'll also notice that programs which include most of their own libraries, such as Firefox, never run into this problem on any platform.

Many libraries co-exist with other versions of the same library. Look at libpng10 and libpng12, for instance. The (K)Ubuntu repositories are filled with different versions of the same libraries.

Beans

Maybe the strength of Linux is also its weakness.
    I would say more that the weaknesses are also its strengths

~djc
    It's not the security of your machine that worries me. My problem is when you waste my bandwidth because your compromised machine is used to hammer mine.

Beans

I guess whether something is a strength or a weakness is dependent on what you are trying to do.

Using the KDE suite as an example its a strength, using dvdstyler its a weakness. As I need dvdstyler or its like to work (and qdvdauthor also fails) then I see it as a weakness

Ho hummm. Have to admit, I've never experienced DLL hell in Windows but maybe I have never pushed it enough. I still love Kubuntu but I have to stick with Windows for image work and that is a damned shame and must work against its overall aspirations for the dektop.
    Last edited by ColinG; October 21st, 2005 at 03:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

... I've never experienced DLL hell in Windows but maybe I have never pushed it enough.
    I work in IT for a local government. We've got about 2,500 desktop PCs scattered around our various locations. Hundreds of different apps. We are always running into DLL Hell where one application gets an upgrade and it steps on and breaks another app that is used on some of the same PCs. We try testing things like this ahead of time, but there are too many variations of PCs and application combinations out there.

Any way, my point is, DLL Hell is real and if the application vendor can't solve it for us we're usually stuck. Microsoft doesn't help much, we're too small a customer for them to care much about. Except when it comes to cashing our licensing checks.
    Sam
    Visalia, CA, USA

Linux User #349955
    http://counter.li.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by duffydack
    What is that supposed to be anyway? It looks like it ought to be some kind of video.
    From the source, it looks like
    http://microsofttech.fr.edgesuite.ne...999/9999_w.smi
    is the media. But what's a smi file?
    Some people say I'm a man of few words, but the fact is that most people talk too much without actually saying anything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Am I the only one who doesn't understand what the first post means? I tried to look at the link in Linux and Windows, and it doesn't work for me. What is the message? Can anyone sum it up, so people don't have to click on the link to figure out where this subject title comes from?

Beans

its a joke video

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by duffydack
    If your gonna post a website about "why windows is better" please make sure that website follows web standards (XHTML, CSS, JavaScript etc...) Otherwise, I'm not even going to look at it. This is especially true of any website that proposes that Windows is better than Linux--otherwise I have no reason to believe anything they say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast