Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 233

Thread: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

  1. #221
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    11

    Re: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

    When I use Rubyripper's custom settings for mp3 conversion
    -V 3 --id3v2-only Rubyripper will rip an mp3, but its a low quality rip. When I use a high quality setting, -v 0 --vbr-new , Rubyripper comes back with this error: 1WARNING: Encoding to mp3 exited with an error with track 1! In previous installs of Rubyripper I have never had a problem with this code. Any ideas? I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 64bit.

  2. #222
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    12,997

    Re: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

    Just change the -V 3 to -V 0 in RR's settings
    The --vbr-new is not needed - it is a default

    Ex. the "-V 0 --id3v2-only" uses these parameters -
    -m j -V 0 -q 0 -lowpass 19.5 --vbr-new -b 32

  3. #223
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    11

    Re: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

    Thank you mc4man. I ripped a cd with your settings and it sounds great. I think the problem I had with the default settings was when I viewed the properties of the ripped mp3, under the audio tab, the default settings bitrate was only 88 kbps. Using your settings the bitrate moved to 96 kbps, but it sounds amazing so either my OS isn't registering the proper bitrate or bitrate no longer matters? Anyway thanks again for your help.

  4. #224
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    12,997

    Re: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by manney View Post
    Thank you mc4man. I ripped a cd with your settings and it sounds great. I think the problem I had with the default settings was when I viewed the properties of the ripped mp3, under the audio tab, the default settings bitrate was only 88 kbps. Using your settings the bitrate moved to 96 kbps, but it sounds amazing so either my OS isn't registering the proper bitrate or bitrate no longer matters? Anyway thanks again for your help.
    I'm not up that much on mp3, use flac & aac generally

    As far as what the r. click properties shows, never quite trusted that, sometimes correct, sometimes not, sometimes shows nothing

    Prefer mediainfo - generally start in the default "easy" view, then switch to "HTML" for more extensive or "Text" for copying
    (I normally start mediainfo, then drop file onto - can also be used from r. click context

    Can be gotten from this ppa
    https://launchpad.net/~shiki/+archive/mediainfo

    Best way to add -

    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shiki/mediainfo
    Then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install mediainfo-gui
    There is also the command line package - mediainfo

    ( the default for RR in vbr is -b 32 which I believe means the min. br allowed when doing a vbr is 32, I guess that could be raised though I don't think it matters much, the algorithm tends to pick what's best while encoding
    (again mp3's aren't something I've used much

  5. #225
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Beans
    14
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

    [QUOTE=georgelappies;11324292]
    Quote Originally Posted by jeggerleg View Post

    Yeah, this is not working in 11.04...
    The problem is that the repository hasn't been updated to know about Maverick, Natty or Oneiric. Here's what I did:

    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:aheck/ppa
    Then change the file to point to the Lucid repository:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/aheck-ppa-oneiric.list
    Make it look like this:
    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/aheck/ppa/ubuntu lucid main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/aheck/ppa/ubuntu lucid main
    After which you should be able to run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    without errors.

    Finally, the rubyripper package doesn't install the front end by default, so you should probably do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install rubyripper-gtk

  6. #226
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    11

    Re: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

    Has anyone else encountered the problem where new cd's ripped with the current version of RR will keep playing the same track and won't advance to the next track unless I press the forward button on my Philips Go Gear Vibe 8GB mp3 player? The cd's that were already on my mp3 player which were ripped with RR 0.5.7 all advance on there own. I've tried disabling repeat mode and selecting play all under settings and nothing seems to work. I would appreciate any advice before I try re-ripping these troublesome cds. On a side note I had to enter the track info in manually but I don't see how that would affect the tracks from advancing.

  7. #227
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    12,997

    Re: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by manney View Post
    Has anyone else encountered the problem where new cd's ripped with the current version of RR will keep playing the same track and won't advance to the next track unless I press the forward button on my Philips Go Gear Vibe 8GB mp3 player? The cd's that were already on my mp3 player which were ripped with RR 0.5.7 all advance on there own. I've tried disabling repeat mode and selecting play all under settings and nothing seems to work. I would appreciate any advice before I try re-ripping these troublesome cds. On a side note I had to enter the track info in manually but I don't see how that would affect the tracks from advancing.
    Don't have a mp3 player (had an ipod but it was totally bricked during 11.10 dev testing), if you are using a git version of RR then maybe remove and try a release, 0.6 or 0.6.1 - you'd install as before,ect.
    http://code.google.com/p/rubyripper/downloads/list

    RR issues if you're inclined
    http://code.google.com/p/rubyripper/issues/list

  8. #228
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Beans
    50
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

    I managed to install Rubyripper into Maveric 10.10 following the steps outlined in post 225. However, I had to stumble through several steps, as there is some information missing. In the end I could not explain to an Ubuntu newbie what I did to get each step to work, which frustrates me.

    If someone would be so kind as to give a more complete explanation of each step, it would be helpful to someone less experienced with Ubuntu than I am.

  9. #229
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    46

    Re: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

    Hi guys, I need a little help with this.

    I'm using RubyRipper 0.6.2

    when I import the folder in any Music Player (e.g. Rhythmbox, GMPC), everything is unknown but the name of the track which begins with the track number.

    e.g.
    ---
    Track: [Blank space]
    Title: "01 - Yesterday"
    Artist: "unknown"
    Album: "unknown"
    Genre: "unknown"
    ---

    So... How to set the preferences?

  10. #230
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    12,997

    Re: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Edoardo_P View Post
    Hi guys, I need a little help with this.

    I'm using RubyRipper 0.6.2

    when I import the folder in any Music Player (e.g. Rhythmbox, GMPC), everything is unknown but the name of the track which begins with the track number.

    e.g.
    ---
    Track: [Blank space]
    Title: "01 - Yesterday"
    Artist: "unknown"
    Album: "unknown"
    Genre: "unknown"
    ---

    So... How to set the preferences?
    Rubyripper doesn't tag Wav

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •