Thread: New to Ubuntu, and linux environment

Beans

New to Ubuntu, and linux environment

I'm moving to Linux, i share the idea of ubuntu.

But, im having a hard time to get it to work properly.

First my specs:

Powerbook G4, 12 in, 60GB HD, 512 DDR1 RAM, Airport Extreme Wifi.
    running Ubuntu 6.06 LTS - Dapper Drake

Well, first of all my pains:

the touch pad is working very slow, i researched on the forums, and there is a possible fix to this problem but most involve configuring the xorg.conf file, which i dont know where or how to find it, then i have to install an application named gsynaptics... but then i cant because i need to add a line to the previous mentioned file.

Also, I tried to adjust the brightness of the LCD, but it is not possible, although the settings say it changes there is no visible change.

Then the Wireless connection is not working, and im guessing because this is an apple computer and uses a airport extreme card.

Please help me, i really want to use Ubuntu, and forget all the problems with mac os (although its an awesome os, i have some kernel panic issues due to a failure on the logic board, but with Ubuntu all these disappeared),

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: New to Ubuntu, and linux environment

Your A-1 problem, I would say, is using a version of Ubuntu(Dapper) that's almost 2 years old! Hardy was released only a few weeks ago and will probably treat you lots better. You can find it here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/hardy/release/
    You want the file called, "ubuntu-8.04-desktop-powerpc.iso"

If you have the ability, try installing Hardy. Hopefully this will solve some of your problems. Of course, feel free to ask for assistance here anytime.
    Last edited by DirtDawg; May 19th, 2008 at 06:31 AM. Reason: I cannot subtract

Beans

Re: New to Ubuntu, and linux environment

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post
    Your A-1 problem, I would say, is using a version of Ubuntu(Dapper) that's almost 2 years old! Hardy was released only a few weeks ago and will probably treat you lots better. You can find it here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/hardy/release/
    You want the file called, "ubuntu-8.04-desktop-powerpc.iso"

If you have the ability, try installing Hardy. Hopefully this will solve some of your problems. Of course, feel free to ask for assistance here anytime.
    Another thing to mention is that the alternative install CD for version 8.04 might work better for you for all the drivers that you need.