Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: help boot iso from grub??

this is how i got things working pretty fine,

installed xp pro clean ! with all the updates

next i downloaded Wubi - Ubuntu Installer for Windows
    wubi-installer.org/

to start fresh it's better if you have 2 drives C:\ for Windows xp D:\for ubuntu

you will have double boot options to pick from xp or ubuntu everytime you reboot your computer.

so i can run xp in 1 mintue or run ubuntu the next mintue

if you want the virtual way, look up virtualbox or QUME something like that.
    sudo -s

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Endolith View Post
    I'd like to know how to do this, too. I'm not sure why Grub wouldn't be able to mount an ISO if it knew the location on the disk. It has to understand file systems if it can access your menu.lst file, right?

Another possibility might be burning the ISO to a USB flash drive, using http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/?
    Grub doesn't understand all file systems, and I think that iso9660 (the cd file system) is one that it doesn't. I think I've found how to do it though, although it will still take a bit of research. As part of the boot process, grub loads a ram image containing a few drivers and programs required to boot the main system, e.g. obscure hard drive drivers. It is possible to add anything to this image, such as filesystem drivers for iso images, the mount program and possibly a bootup script. In my case I was trying to install arch linux, so I created an image which would load usb drivers, then boot off a flash drive. You should be able to do something similar with an iso file. In arch, the program used to create the image is called mkinitcpio (I think), and it would probably work in ubuntu too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by aquavitae View Post
    Grub doesn't understand all file systems, and I think that iso9660 (the cd file system) is one that it doesn't.
    Grub 0.95 added ISO9660 support.

Here's a better description:

Booting from iso9660 images using GRUB 2

In #grub one of the most asked questions is if GRUB can boot iso9660 images. Or better: how GRUB should do this, people don’t even think about if it would be possible or not. Of course this annoys many people and “GRUB can not boot CDROM images” is nowadays the most important line in the topic.

Actually, GRUB can read ISO9660(”iso”) images. It can for example loads the first few sectors and boot it. But most people do not realize is “what then?”. What would the loaded operating system do? It will most likely look for a CDROM, which it won’t find and fail.
    Also: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6930214

It seems these LiveUSB things use ISOLINUX http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syslinux
    "Please remember to do things the Ubuntu way. There is always more than one solution to a problem, choose the one you think will be the easiest for the user. ... Try to think as a green user and choose the simplest solution." — Code of Conduct

Beans
    Hidden!

Interesting - I stand corrected!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12