Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unable to scan Wifi networks?

Beans

Re: Unable to scan Wifi networks?

so thats my question
    I am not able to scan wireless networks.

I want to connect to hostel's wifi connection or any other connection when I move out of hostel. for example: cafes, hotels, roadside free public wifi, etc.,

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ashish25 View Post
    so thats my question
    I am not able to scan wireless networks.

I want to connect to hostel's wifi connection or any other connection when I move out of hostel. for example: cafes, hotels, roadside free public wifi, etc.,
    You will need to try to find a connection where you can download the firmware that was posted in #20. You wireless card is not able to work without some additional help from firmware or with NDISwrapper.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    To get meaningful scan results, iwlist must be run sudo. Your wireless card seems to be doing everything you would expect. A lot of people have greater success with Wicd and uninstall Network Manager, including me. http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
    That did improve things a bit. I can now connect to unencrypted networks, but I still have no luck with WPA. Any ideas?

@chili555:
    You also have an Intel 3945ABG wireless card, right?
    As far as I have understood the trouble is the new driver (iwl3956 instead of ipw3945). When I look in /etc/modprobe.d there is a file named 'ipw3945' (that used to activate the old driver), but there is no file named 'iwl3945' - is it also like that on your system? When I view the drivers list in wicd (in preferences) it use a driver named 'ipw' and there is no 'iwl' listed - is that correct?

Thanks for helping!
    -Mads
    Last edited by kmads; May 26th, 2008 at 11:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You also have an Intel 3945ABG wireless card, right?
    Yes.
    but there is no file named 'iwl3945' - is it also like that on your system?
    Yes.
    in wicd (in preferences) it use a driver named 'ipw'
    Yes, and Wicd works as expected with 'ipw' selected. So, are you able to see and connect to networks, now?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

[snip]..., and Wicd works as expected with 'ipw' selected. So, are you able to see and connect to networks, now?
    Yes, I can see all available networks and now connect to the unencrypted ones . I can also see the WPA-encrypted network, but is not able to connect to it.

Thanks,
    Mads

Beans

I use WiFi Radar to find networks and set mine up. It's in the repositories. Once it sees the network double click on the network and it will pop up network has not been set up would you like to set it up now. The rest is pretty simple.

Worth a shot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Professor View Post
    Is that backport-modules-etc... a required thing?

It looks like my toshiba has an intel 3945abg, default driver iwl3945 (although a thread in here says it should be ipw3945)...

Before I try that install I'd like to know that it's safe and won't screw anything up, or at the very least, can be put back to how it was before if the need arises. ??

Thanks
    Absolutely safe. If the need arises, and I can't forsee why, you can always:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic
    Is it a required thing? Not if your card is working well now. If it's not, it is known to have fixed dozens of 3945ABGs, including mine.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Absolutely safe. If the need arises, and I can't forsee why, you can always:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic
    Is it a required thing? Not if your card is working well now. If it's not, it is known to have fixed dozens of 3945ABGs, including mine.
    Good to know. I am currently resorting with a wired connection, though have subscribed to this thread for future reference.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123