Thread: [SOLVED] Backing up the whole of my partition to an external hard drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation [SOLVED] Backing up the whole of my partition to an external hard drive

Hi,

Having made a disk image of 7.10 and saving it to my external hard, I've had difficulty reinstalling it. I used a combination of this thread - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35087 - and another illustrating how to use Partimage. Eventually - failing! - I did a fresh install of 8.04. What I would like to know is;

1. Can I copy the whole of my partition of 8.04 onto a partitioned hard drive?
    2. If so, can I then take the external hard drive and boot from it, from say, a usb bootable work PC?
    3. Can you suggest how I go about it if it's possible?

Thanks - in advance - for your assistance. Kind regards,
    I am not what I ought to be. I am not what I want to be. I am not what I hope to be. But still, I am not what I used to be. And by the grace of God, I am what I am (John Newton: 1725-1807)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Backing up the whole of my partition to an external hard drive

and the answer is : rsync

to tell the truth i was never used it to create boot disc. Anyway: rsync is great tool for backups. First time it run - copying entire volume, but next time only changes. Thats mean you can backup few gb in few minutes.

Script in attachment is for daily backup of the server. You can play with it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

yes, what you ask is very possible, and yeh probably rsync will do it for you
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks guys, but I was of the understanding that rsync (or Grsync as I use it) only copied files across, and did not produce a disk image. If I'm wrong, do I simply partition my external hard drive and then using the live CD Grsync the files from my internal hard drive to my external? To my limited thinking that doesn't quite make sense if I want to boot from my external hard drive. Can you clarify please? Regards,
    I am not what I ought to be. I am not what I want to be. I am not what I hope to be. But still, I am not what I used to be. And by the grace of God, I am what I am (John Newton: 1725-1807)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

'rsync' will happily backup all of your partition files, to a USB device if you like.

As far as I'm aware though this will not make said USB bootable.

That is a separate procees, a guide to which can be found here;

http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-instal...nux-on-usb-bar

Hope that helps.
    The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he, by peddling second-rate technology, who led them into it in the first place.
    DA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Creating disc images using dd :https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Backupsolutionsforlinux

this will backup your entire disk to another one .
    Linux user #434738 - Ubuntu user #9391
    Be happy .....think of others and thank GOD.

Kindly mark your thread [SOLVED] if it is done.