Thread: amaroK "forcing" file association for mp3

Beans

Question amaroK "forcing" file association for mp3

Hi!

I'm using Ubuntu Feisty. I have both amaroK and XMMS installed. I would like XMMS to be the default application for mp3 files. Therefore I have tried the following:

kcontrol -> file associations -> mp3
    move XMMS up to the first place
    Apply
    -> the system SEEMS TO apply the changes. Now if I call the default application for an mp3 file (e.g. by clicking enter on on it in Krusader or left-clicking on it with the mouse in Konqueror), it's still amaroK that will start playing it! Moreover, if I start kcontrol again and go to the file association settings for mp3's, it's amaroK at the first place again!

This seems a tad too intrusive for me. Does anyone know how to make amaroK understand it's not supposed to be the default application for mp3 files?

Thanks,
    Agoston

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: amaroK "forcing" file association for mp3

You check the radio button to set file associations. I think the list of applications goes in alphabetical order, which would explain why it keeps being reset

Beans

Cool Re: amaroK "forcing" file association for mp3

Hi!

I'm not quite sure you and I are talking about the same thing.

Please have a look at the screenshot I have attached:

a) I can't see any radio buttons there,

but

b) on the right hand side you set up "Application Preference Order" - this pretty much suggests it's got nothing to do with "alphabetical order", doesn't it? (Why would you be able to move items up/down otherwise anyway?)

Also, I have used this feature about a hundred times in the past, and it always worked.

I have to correct myself as well, though: the preference also seems to be restored for any of the file types (I have tested it with 'pdf' as well). It's also interesting that if I run kcontrol as root, the setting _will_ remain permanent. (Only for root, though.)

So the question still stands, but in a more general way: if edited with an ordinary user, the 'application preference order' setting for file associations keeps getting lost - what can be the problem and how do I prevent that?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: amaroK "forcing" file association for mp3

That's because I was talking about gnome even though you were asking about kde! Sorry!