Thread: Wine difficulty

Beans

Wine difficulty

I have just started using wine, and so far it has been a pleasant experience. Although there is one little thing that is bugging me. Wine does not want to install programs directly from discs, I have to move the files to my hard drive in order for it to load properly. Is wine not compatible with this feature or do I navigate a mountpoint that does not exist? (I have checked with nautilus, and it should be /media)

This is the output from the terminal:
    cd /media
    kristian@kristian-laptop:/media$ wine install.exe
    preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
    wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\install.exe": Module not found
    kristian@kristian-laptop:/media$
    Why does wine try to load "C:\\ .. install.exe" when I navigate into /media?

Beans

Re: Wine difficulty

Quote Originally Posted by krikuku View Post
    I have just started using wine, and so far it has been a pleasant experience. Although there is one little thing that is bugging me. Wine does not want to install programs directly from discs, I have to move the files to my hard drive in order for it to load properly. Is wine not compatible with this feature or do I navigate a mountpoint that does not exist? (I have checked with nautilus, and it should be /media)

This is the output from the terminal:

The problem is that there is no "install.exe" in the current folder (/media), so Wine tries to look in the system folder for it - since it's not there either, it spits out the error.

Likely, you want to be in a folder like /media/cdrom or something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by krikuku View Post
    - Probably because it can't find install.exe in /media. It then looks in the default wine folder for executables "C:\\windows\\system32\\" and fails to find it there as well.

- So, you'll have to navigate to the correct mount point instead (it's usually something like /media/cdrom0/).

- Also, note that when installing from *multiple* cd's, it's usually best to run the installer from somewhere else than the actual mount point. In other words, use:

wine /media/cdrom0/install.exe

- instead of:

wine install.exe

- from within the disc's mount point. This will prevent problems that might arise when having to switch discs. In all other situations, should you run programs from within their own folders though.

Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!

Actually it appears that your problem is solved here

Beans

Talking Re: Wine difficulty

I thank you people for helping out! I have successfully loaded the installation

I just navigated to /media/cdrom0/ as told

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3090/...a07a1e89_m.jpg
    Last edited by krikuku; May 18th, 2008 at 02:29 PM.