Thread: Video editing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Video editing

Hi,

I just made a short film of my Ubuntu desktop. (Nothing special, just what many Ubuntu-users like to play around with.) The simplest way I came to think of how to record it was to put my digital camera in front of the screen. I would now like to make this clip downloadable to my friends. - Promote Ubuntu a little My camera has supplied avi-format. I thus now have a 52 MB avi film that I want to put on my site for my friends to download. However, I just found out that my host only allows 8MB storage per file.

So, what whould I do? Is there a program for editing films? If I cut away som parts (where my fingers move too slowly), speed some parts up, reduce screen size, reduce colorddepth ... etc etc I can maybe get below 8 MB? Or is there any free host where I could put 52 MB immediately? Can I change to a more compressed format that can be readily seen by my (sometimes Windows-)using friends? Sound is not necessary.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Video editing

try avidemux and devede, I particularly like devede it's easy to use and you can convert those avi files to a more compact size, mpeg or divx.
    Last edited by gandaran; May 18th, 2008 at 02:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It is easer to use gtk-recordMyDesktop in Add/Remove (all available application)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

gandaran, Ringi

Thanks a lot. Very valuable for a beginning film-director like me

I did this:
    1. Cut off garbage with avidemux (set A, set B, ctr/x cuts off the part inbetween, good and simple interface for a beginner like me)
    2. Using devede, setting videobitrate to 1500 (instead of 5001), seemed to reduce filesize considerably
    3. Going back to avidemux to get back avi (I think I had both iso and mpeg as intermediaries).

I am just learning and I have probably missed many features of the programs, but they reduced the clip to the required 7.8 MB size. Thats what I needed right now.

Thanks guys. Using Ubuntu and the forum is really useful.
    Last edited by yc2; May 18th, 2008 at 03:48 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I uploaded the avi file that was output from avidemux, but my friend says her Windows mediaplayer can't play it. Now I realize that I have the same problem if I try to play it on my Windows computer. However, the original avi (from my digital camera) can be played by my Windows system.

Windows questions don't belong here, but I would like to promote Ubuntu a little among my few friends. It seems my manipulations of the avi file with devede and avidemux have produced another variant of avi that is not so easy to decode by Windows mediaplayer.

Is there any setup in avidemux I have missed? How to output an avi-file that is readable by most Windows-systems? (I don't really know why, but I am not sure I want to go to MPEG?)

Sorry, I am really a beginner in the media-field.

Thanks.
    Last edited by yc2; May 18th, 2008 at 06:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You and your friend can try to install K-Lite codec pack in windows, just google it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Mange tack Ringi (I think you say in Denmark )
    Dead accurate codec pack.
    Thanks.
    (I have never really understood how to find the right codec pack for Windows. The manufacturer, HP, had recommende ffdshow. Now K-Lite installed a newer ffdshow and added some codecs which solved the problem!)