Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: [SOLVED] Try hd(0,0): NTFS5: No wubildr

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Try hd(0,0): NTFS5: No wubildr

As I looked up this thread error went away and loaded normally. It was rather odd. Also, I am not following your process on how to fix the issue.
    Last edited by crate2k5; February 21st, 2010 at 02:11 AM.

Beans

I'm having this problem but after reading through this thread am unsure what to do. When I boot I select Ubuntu and then I get the following (might differ a little because it comes up and goes away so quickly)

Try hd(0,0) NTFS5: No wubildr
    Try hd(0,1) NTFS5: No wubildr
    Try hd(0,2)

Then I am taken to a type of command prompt. How can I fix this without starting over because I have some files that I need to at the least retrieve.

Thanks for any help!

Beans

So I finally found a fix... here it is for anyone interested.

Keep in mind you can find out what your kernel version is by pressing TAB when it comes time to input it.

You can get your windows partition by doing the following command before typing everything in...

ls -l

You'll then get your partitions in the form of hd(0,0) the first digit is corresponds to a letter and the second a number. Like so,

hd(0,1) = sda1
    hd(1,2) = sdb2 ... etc.

If your unsure which you need to use just try one after the other until your can boot up again.

Now here are the steps... (note "sh:grub>" is not something you type)

sh:grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz-[kernel version w/o brackets] root=/dev/[Windows Partition w/o brackets] loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro

sh:grub> initrd /boot/initrd.img-[kernel version w/o brackets]

sh:grub> boot

If you successfully boot then you need to reinstall the grub-pc otherwise you'll continue to have to retype all of that. So...

Once in Ubuntu...

1. Go to System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager
    2. Type in Quick Search "grub-pc"
    3. Look for the one with the ubuntu logo and green square and right-click and mark for reinstallation.

Reboot and you should be good to go!
    Thanks to the site where I got this from: http://www.omaregan.com/?p=583
    You might be able to find more information about this problem by going to that site.

Beans

Hi all!
    Firs of all thanks for all the info.

It seems that I don't have kernel. Is it possible? I've no 'vmlinuz-...' like file at boot/
    What can I do?

Thnx!

Beans

Hi all,

I had the same problem as the original poster and [SOLVED] it in a very simple way. Here's my story:

I installed Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit using Wubi in Vista and a clean ISO. I got the "Try hd(0,0): NTFS5: No wubildr" error and after a minute or so, Grub loaded and Ubuntu booted. I wanted to find a fix for the wait.

I discovered that my first partition [ hd(0,0) ] is a small (FAT?) partition Windows uses to store it's MBR and a few other things. My second partition [ hd(0,1) ] is my C: drive where Windows lives and where Wubi put Ubuntu.

So, the Windows Boot Loader was looking for "wubildr" on my first partition when really it was on my second partition where Wubi put it.

To correct this, I copied wubildr to the 1st partition. I don't know how to access the 1st partition from Windows, but it can be mounted and accessed easily in a Linux command prompt.

Note: this solution was successful with Ubuntu installations on both the 2nd and 3rd partitions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emptystorage View Post
    Hi all,

I had the same problem as the original poster and [SOLVED] it in a very simple way. Here's my story:

I installed Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit using Wubi in Vista and a clean ISO. I got the "Try hd(0,0): NTFS5: No wubildr" error and after a minute or so, Grub loaded and Ubuntu booted. I wanted to find a fix for the wait.

I discovered that my first partition [ hd(0,0) ] is a small (FAT?) partition Windows uses to store it's MBR and a few other things. My second partition [ hd(0,1) ] is my C: drive where Windows lives and where Wubi put Ubuntu.

So, the Windows Boot Loader was looking for "wubildr" on my first partition when really it was on my second partition where Wubi put it.

To correct this, I copied wubildr to the 1st partition. I don't know how to access the 1st partition from Windows, but it can be mounted and accessed easily in a Linux command prompt.

Note: this solution was successful with Ubuntu installations on both the 2nd and 3rd partitions.

Here's how I did it (in WIndows 7 though).
    I went to control panel and searched the word "partition". A result "Create and format hard disk partition" under Administrative tools will show up.
    Click on the "Create and format hard disk partition". The disk management dialogue box will open.
    Look below.
    You will see "System Reserved", (C, (D and/or any other partition that you might have with their respective letters.
    Right click on the "System Reserved", select "Change Drive letters and paths". In the new dialogue box, click "add" and then "OK" on the new dialogue box that appears. You should receive a notification similar to the one when you plug in a pendrive.
    Now, go to the directory where you installed Ubuntu/Kubuntu, search for and copy the file wubildr and then paste it in the new partition that should have appeared in My Computer. (Do not do anything else to the new partition as it contains system files and might damage your Windows.)
    After that, open disk management again and then remove the drive letter from "System Reserved". (You will get a warning about removing the drive letter bu do it, nothing will happen - at least nothing happened on my computer).
    Then restart the computer. Ubuntu/Kubuntu should load normally without the "ntfs no wubildr" message.
    P.S do it at your own risk, I am not responsible for any damage that might occur.

Beans

Thanks a lot prishank799. This solution fixed my problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Old thread closed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234